Answered

Changing the name of a speaker

• 6 January 2017
  • 32 replies

I just moved a speaker to another room. How do I change its name so I don't have multiple speakers with the same name?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 January 2017, 19:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Whether the software team's productivity is X or Y, they're a finite resource whose priorities must be set. My point was that to retain the renaming option in the Desktop Controller was not just a question of "leaving it there", there would have needed to be not insignificant effort to port the user account authentication functionality across.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Renaming a room is part of Room Settings, which is now behind a sign-in authentication. To retain it on the Desktop Controller would have meant adding in the all sign-in code. Not lazy, just a business priority decision on where to focus resources.

Not remotely true. The only room setting behind Auth is max-volume-limit. Everything else is still on the long-existing LAN APIs. It actually took a lot more work to remove the Room Rename feature on Desktop than it would have to have left it in. Its not like this API has changed, ever, so maintenance cost is zero. This particular feature deletion really didn't make any engineering sense at all, unlike some that arguably did (eg Setup, Add Speakers).

Room Rename was about the simplest feature I added to my own app: one UPNP API call, and a UI so simple even I could code it up quickly.

Renaming a room is part of Room Settings, which is now behind a sign-in authentication. To retain it on the Desktop Controller would have meant adding in the all sign-in code. Not lazy, just a business priority decision on where to focus resources.Not remotely true.

Do this:
  • reset a controller (I just tested on an iDevice)
  • restart it and associate it with the household
  • hit More/Settings/Room Settings
  • you get a 'sign in to access more features' screen before you can proceed
I'm not interested in what you can do behind the scenes. I was talking about the functionality presented to the user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You said they removed the entire Room Settings feature from Desktop because it required auth, and that is incorrect. They could have left it all as it was, and simply not attempted to add Volume Limit to Desktop, and pissed off a lot fewer people.

They decided to throw the baby [All Room Settings] out with the bathwater [Volume Limit].
You said they removed the entire Room Settings feature from Desktop because it required auth, and that is incorrect.
Sonos chose to put all room settings behind auth on other controllers for security reasons. It stands to reason that they would want consistency across platforms.

Hello,

I am using the desktop app for a while, but the renaming speaker options is removed. I would like to report a bug.

Hello,

I am using the desktop app for a while, but the renaming speaker options is removed. I would like to report a bug.

Desktop App has limited abilities and some settings are unavailable. You will need to use a controller that meets the Sonos System Requirements as shown here…

Sonos System Requirements