Answered

Changing Pre-Set Volume on Connect

• 11 February 2019
  • 5 replies

I have a SONOS Connect, which is set up with an Onkyo tuner. The volume control within the SONOS app is set at 100%. The volume on my iphone is also set up to maximum. Here is my problem -- I have no control over the volume at all. Right now it is very very low. When I go to turn the volume up manually through the tuner, a message comes up stating that the volume is pre-set by SONOS. I cannot turn the volume up or down on my tuner and because it is set to maximum on the app as well as my iphone, this is as loud as it gets. Which is horrible. I have to practically sit beside the speakers to hear it. Also, I have tried to hit the volume control that is on the connect and it doesn't turn the volume up or down, only mute works. Have searched message boards and forums and have come up emptyhanded -- other than people saying to turn up the volume in the SONOS app -- which is already at 100%. Help! I am ready to toss SONOS completely.
icon

Best answer by ratty 11 February 2019, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Your Connect's Line-Out Level may have been set to Pass-Through, because it's expecting to be able to control the Onkyo volume directly. You can change the Connect to Variable Line-Out and control the Sonos and Onkyo independently.

(I'm not familiar with the setup procedure for the Onkyo, but if you wanted to be able to control its volume directly from the Sonos app I suspect you'd need to go through some kind of registration procedure, so the Onkyo was linked to your Sonos account. On the face of things it sounds like this might have already been done.)
Thanks Ratty! I went into the app and switched it from pass-through to variable, and now the volume control on the connect is definitely adjustable but it still stops at the low level (46 on the onkyo) and the message that it is a SONOS Preset volume... sigh. So annoying!! But thank you!
I'm not sure how the Pass-Through arrangement is set up, but I assume you must have explicitly registered your Onkyo receiver with Sonos in some way? It sounds like there's still some linkage.
No idea because it was set up by a technician... I think I will have to contact him.
No idea because it was set up by a technician... I think I will have to contact him.
Not a bad idea. I did a quick google and found https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/ which may prove illuminating.

I think I maybe had it wrong: the association between the receiver and the Connect appears to be local, rather than via a cloud registration with one's Sonos account.

Perhaps a Sonos rep can chime in with the full details.