Answered

Ceiling speakers + Russound 4-way selector + Sonos Amp?

• 15 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Background: Bought a house with 4 “dumb” ceiling speakers in 4 different rooms. Owners had a Denon receiver, an AudioSource amp and a Russound SS-4.2 4-way speaker selector. Each speaker has 4 wires and also has wall volume dials. The wires are all disconnected.

My goal: Stream Sonos (and Spotify) through the 4 speakers and be able to control the volume of each speaker and turn each speaker on and off from my phone.

Question: Can I use the Sonos Amp with the Russound SS-4.2 4-way selector? Do I need more than one Amp?

Pics: Here’s the front and back of the Russound SS-4.2 4-way selector.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 July 2021, 18:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My goal: Stream Sonos (and Spotify) through the 4 speakers and be able to control the volume of each speaker and turn each speaker on and off from my phone.

You  will need 4 Sonos amps to do that   Each amp can only control one room/zone.   You would be able play different music and volumes in each room, or group them to play together with different volumes.   All from your phone.

Question: Can I use the Sonos Amp with the Russound SS-4.2 4-way selector? Do I need more than one Amp?

You can do this, but you would only have one volume and audio source.  The selector would allow you turn on/off certain speakers, but that’s it.  I’ve actually used this sort of setup previously, and depending on the location of the speakers and how you’d use them, it can be an ok solution, or temporary solution till you get all the amps you want.

And FYI, your 4 wire speakers are generally referred to as stereo in ceiling speakers, as they will play both left and right channels of audio in the same speaker.

You  will need 4 Sonos amps to do that   Each amp can only control one room/zone.   You would be able play different music and volumes in each room, or group them to play together with different volumes.   All from your phone.

This is very helpful; thanks. 

The previous owners left a receiver and an amplifier along with the 4-way selecter. What if I kept that setup and added a Sonos Port to it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

A Port will work and be a less expensive solution, but you’ll still need to use the Russound to turn speakers on and off and still won’t have volume control of individual speakers from your phone. And you’ll need to manually turn the amplifier on and off (or just leave it on constantly).