Question

Ceiling speakers - need suggestions on best set up

• 1 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Recently moved into an existing home that has Klipsch in-ceilling speakers in five rooms + patio. There is a pair in each room along with a local volume control. The speaker runs are all tied to a common right now (one source only). I currently have them hooked up to Zone 2 on a Yamaha RX-V683.

While the Yamaha drives the speakers OK, I find it clumsy to use even with the app. I also don't think Yamaha supports Apple Music (at least I haven't figured out how) which we enjoy. So, I"m thinking of either going with a CONNECT-AMP OR CONNECT for the in-ceiling speakers. The Yamaha will still drive a 5.1 set up that was also here with the house for TV viewing. Given the Yamaha drives the ceiling speakers with no problem, it seems like the CONNECT-AMP will too given the output? Like to get feedback on that though. I should add, while it would be amazing to have each speaker pair on their own zone - just not practical buying six CONNECT-AMP's. Also, could I do this cheaper using a CONNECT while still using the Yamaha for the amp portion? Seems like I could but doesn't help with the "clumsy" aspect of having to turn the Yamaha on each time and making sure it was switched correctly. For that alone, I think the CONNECT-AMP wins.

Appreciate the input!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you are looking for some good recommendations of ceiling speakers at a cheap price then have a look on this https://www.thecrazybuyers.com/best-ceiling-speaker/
Gonna chime in as I had a similar scenario in a previous home. I had a 5.1 setup with receiver in the family room, along with in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, back patio, and garage. I setup a CONNECT to work with the receiver both as a music source and to take input from the receiver (tv audio). Because the kitchen was right off the family room, I used the receiver's zone 2 to power it. For the rest of speakers I got one CONNECT:AMP -> 4 pair speaker switch. I didn't have separate volume control switches, sot that wasn't a good option for me. That gave me the impedance matching and the ability to turn off speakers, like the patio, when I only wanted audio in the bedroom. It was a little weak when trying to power all 4 sets of speakers, but that scenario was rare. I also didn't have much need to play different sources in different rooms/zones, so that wasn't an issue. Ne

Point is, yes you can get more conveint control if you get a CONNECT:AMP for every room, but if you think about how you intend to use the system, you can use your volume control switches and/or a speaker switch to satisfy 90% of your use cases for a lot cheaper. As well, you can always add more CONNECT:AMPs in the future as your needs and budget change.

Thank you. Sounds pretty much identical to my set up. Agree that 90% of our usage is fine for one source. I think I'll try a CONNECT:AMP and see how that does with all the interior speakers. As was pointed out earlier, I can add another if need be if necessary.
Gonna chime in as I had a similar scenario in a previous home. I had a 5.1 setup with receiver in the family room, along with in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, back patio, and garage. I setup a CONNECT to work with the receiver both as a music source and to take input from the receiver (tv audio). Because the kitchen was right off the family room, I used the receiver's zone 2 to power it. For the rest of speakers I got one CONNECT:AMP -> 4 pair speaker switch. I didn't have separate volume control switches, sot that wasn't a good option for me. That gave me the impedance matching and the ability to turn off speakers, like the patio, when I only wanted audio in the bedroom. It was a little weak when trying to power all 4 sets of speakers, but that scenario was rare. I also didn't have much need to play different sources in different rooms/zones, so that wasn't an issue. Ne

Point is, yes you can get more conveint control if you get a CONNECT:AMP for every room, but if you think about how you intend to use the system, you can use your volume control switches and/or a speaker switch to satisfy 90% of your use cases for a lot cheaper. As well, you can always add more CONNECT:AMPs in the future as your needs and budget change.
Badge
“but would need to power the Yamaha on/off.”

You could use this: https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/sonosampjuicepi-solution-for-automatically-powering-on-off-amps-6756435
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well truthfully you could hook all 5 to a single Connect:Amp with those volume switches. However yes your Yamaha is probably almost double the power output of a single Connect:Amp.

Being you obviously have impedence matching with the volume controls in order to run 6 on the single Yamaha output. You could certainly try 5 off the Connect:Amp and see if your getting enough volume for your liking.

P.S. I have my outside speakers on Zone 2 of my inside surround receiver ... and while I recommended leaving the patio on the zone 2 .... I hate every time I have to go and turn on my receiver for the outside. So while it sounds simple I know what you mean by the connect:amps being so much easier.
Thank you Chris - It sounds like Zone 2 of the Yamaha is more robust power wise than the Connect:Amp? I like the patio idea staying on Zone 2. You don't think though that the (5) pairs of speakers would work on a single Connect:Amp? The idea of just opening the app and hitting play and really appealing!

Agree on the cheapest alternative - I guess that gives me the Sonos app interface which IMHO is better than Yamaha's, but would need to power the Yamaha on/off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The advantage to connect:amps is being able to play different music to different rooms. Your speakers are probably 8ohms (actually with volume controls they are probably impedance matched already anyhow) so you can run 4 speakers off a single Connect:Amps. So you could split rooms with Connect:Amps You could use 3 Connect:Amps so there are 2 rooms per source. And leave the 5.1 system on the Yamaha.

Since your speakers have the impedence matching volume controls you may be able to do something like 2 Connect:Amps (powering 5 rooms - 3 on one and 2 on another.... sounds like right now you have all 5 wired to the Yamaha). Then put the patio by itself on the zone 2 of the Yamaha (as you would then just need to turn on receiver when using outside). Then add a Connect to the Yamaha so it as well has sonos music (and TV audio can also then play to all Sonos zones).

Your cheapest alternative would be leave as is and just add a connect to the Yamaha.