Can the Amp and Connect be told to output mono rather than stereo? Using with mono ceiling speakers in bathroom and kitchen.

• 16 November 2012
  • 95 replies

Userlevel 1
Single ceiling speakers (already bought) being used in the bathroom and kitchen. I need to sum the stereo signal for those, as I listen to a lot of soul which is 'dual mono' i.e. drums on left, everything else on right. Can the output be set to mono?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

95 replies

Yes on mono output please! We use Sonos Connects with large amps to drive multiple speakers over a large area and in different rooms. Stereo signals tend to sound funky when you have one speaker with the left signal in one room and the right signal in the other room OR when you have a hallway or outdoor lanai with more than two speakers in a row. Thanks in advance for adding this feature!
I'm installing a big Sonos system in a friend's house. Without a mono option the wiring is far more complicated: stereo input ceiling speakers, local impedance matching volume switches, what a nightmare. Thanks for skipping the obvious Sonos. Same camp as Mr. Olson, took it for granted that ceiling speakers and whole house audio would be familiar territory for these guys. With odd rooms and hallways and bathrooms, etc. why would they assume stereo is appropriate everywhere all the time? Odd...
Ive used Y cable for over a year, no issues. Its line level out of connect so a Y cable wont damage the unit. Not sure where you got that info from
Userlevel 1
I'm installing a big Sonos system in a friend's house. Without a mono option the wiring is far more complicated: stereo input ceiling speakers, local impedance matching volume switches, what a nightmare. Thanks for skipping the obvious Sonos. Same camp as Mr. Olson, took it for granted that ceiling speakers and whole house audio would be familiar territory for these guys. With odd rooms and hallways and bathrooms, etc. why would they assume stereo is appropriate everywhere all the time? Odd...
I got it from science and engineering. Without proper resistors in place you should never sum an output using a Y. Only a split. I've been installing audio for over 23 years and am a Sonos dealer, and can tell you not a single person in the industry with any knowledge would do this. I absolutely do not recommend it, if you don't believe me call Sonos tech support and ask. You will damage the I/O stages of the device. If you want to do it then use resistors and make a proper cable. You can YouTube it. Please be careful of giving advice that can damage people's components.
Here's the answer to safely creating a mono output from a Sonos Connect RDL TX-MX2R http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=89
Userlevel 1
That would work safely but unfortunately it's an $80 discontinued item. Sonos just needs to do this. This feature can be added for almost zero extra cost. It already exists in the play units. It's just getting someone to actually listen.
fully agree - SONOS PLEASE READ THIS THREAD AND TAKE ACTION !!!
I would use a Connect without Amp and connect it to an OSD AMP-120. This Amp will run 2 pairs of speakers, can run mono/stereo/Bridge, has an override second input and is auto-power on/off via signal detect. $99 US + Delivery. Sweet device..

Must agree though that it would be nice to have even a simple switch on the back to select mono/stereo output. I don't think you can do it as a solely software fix due to the local analogue input??
I would use a Connect without Amp and connect it to an OSD AMP-120. This Amp will run 2 pairs of speakers, can run mono/stereo/Bridge, has an override second input and is auto-power on/off via signal detect. $99 US + Delivery. Sweet device..

Must agree though that it would be nice to have even a simple switch on the back to select mono/stereo output. I don't think you can do it as a solely software fix due to the local analogue input??

Someone installed 6 basic(assuming 8 ohm-nothing in specifications) 6.5" ceiling speakers in 6 different rooms of an office building that I am using.  1 speaker in each room with each wire run separately into the server closet.  Could I possibly use the OSD AMP-120 in mono mode with a SONOS hooked up to it and then run to a speaker selector(w/ volume control) for each rooms single speaker.
Badge
We had a customer, just this week, looking for a product to make his speakers 'wireless'. A stereo-pair of Connect;Amps would have been perfect.
Yes on Mono Control! - Plus it would be awesome to allow individual volume control for each Left and Right as most likely, like in my case the speakers are technically completely separate locations!
Userlevel 1
The more you ask for, the more the engineers have to do. You are asking for the functionality of two units in one with a separate volume control. That's not cheap to do. Requires a completely new design. Mono is already available in the portables. Just needs to be added to connects. Your issue can be resolved by setting the gains differently on the power amp powering each zone. If you are using a powered connect or a standard receiver, then you have to just buy two connects. This lack of mono is killing custom installation companies like mine .
The more you ask for, the more the engineers have to do. You are asking for the functionality of two units in one with a separate volume control. That's not cheap to do. Requires a completely new design. Mono is already available in the portables. Just needs to be added to connects. Your issue can be resolved by setting the gains differently on the power amp powering each zone. If you are using a powered connect or a standard receiver, then you have to just buy two connects. This lack of mono is killing custom installation companies like mine .
It doesn't take anything more... Its actually just connecting the two Volume controls to the balance... If you want the Mono left channel up, turn the volume up and the balance slides to favor left. If you want right mono as well turn its volume up, if left is already up it just slowly banaces adding right... Its a simple algorithm they could add with mono to allow for two volume controls instead of one. Most people who use MONO use it as they are using speakers in separate locations... Why not allow for separate volume control. Keep it as one box just separate volume control... For example mine are labeled Side/Front Yard... Obviously the same thing would have to play on both speakers, just the volume control would be huge!
Userlevel 1
My original question was actually a bit simpler than that, though. I don't need separate volume control over the two outputs, as I can set that manually (or via RS232) on the d-class power amp. All I'd like is both the left and right phonos to output identical, mono-summed outputs so I can send them to different zones and (post the amp) volumes. Should be easy, but would need a software implementation. Would've thought this would be easy enough tho. Hey ho.
Userlevel 1
Balance is not the same as separate volume controls. As you raise one side with balance, you decrease the other. It's just not the same thing. This requires rework. Furthermore it canobalizes the companie's sales even if they were to do it. The solution to two zones is two units. You are trying to save money. The lack of mono has no real solution.. I'm not trying to knock your idea, but it's diluting the original request which is quite important and desperately needed. If someone from Sonos reads this I want them to see a simple and necessary request. Nor a bunch of different ideas thrown at them on a single post by people who really aren't product engineers. We need mono capability on Connects. Please.:. Someone from Sonos let us know you are at least reading this. This thread was started a long time ago.
Userlevel 1
Agreed Adam. Wish someone was listening.
Userlevel 2
Agreed here as well.  Mono for me would be useful so that in a kitchen/diner or a bathroom/ensuite I could have a single speaker in each and provide a 'full' sound feed rather than just a left or right.  I don't need separate volume control.
Badge
Problem is that no one from Sonos is apparently reading this, or they just don't care.

I was fairly invested in Sonos equipment at one time (in spite of their relatively huge price premium), and the lack of action on this issue made me change directions.  I ended up getting an AV receiver with multiple zones and Apple AirPlay support.  The receiver also has a mono option for zone 2 because someone there evidently realized this need.

So instead of spending a bunch of money for a dedicated Sonos amp for my back yard on top of a Sonos Connect for my main receiver and separate Sonos speakers for every room that I wanted music, I bought a new receiver that handles my living room AND my back yard, and used the Apple TVs I already had in the rooms as AirPlay devices with relatively inexpensive amplified speakers. 

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of annoying issues with Apple AirPlay, and I would still pay a premium for Sonos, but I won't even look at them again until they address or at least respond to this issue.  If this requires hardware changes to implement, at least let us know.  If it can be done in software, then there really is no excuse for no action or response from Sonos or over 2 years.
Well, Adam Brown below is asking for the exact same thing, yet uses an additional device (Non Sonos) to control the volume. Im just simply asking for your request, plus asking in addition for simple volume control, goes hand in hand with the Mono. Sonos my guess would want to keep Sonos with in Sonos. Why add more devices to something that doesnt need it. Its not even close to "Canobalizing" their sales. If so, then your simple request for Mono is what Canobalizes the sales. Mono allows for separate locations for the L/R outputs. Volume control is just a simple conjuntion with the Mono feature. Sorry you feel your idea Canobalizes their sales.

Balance. Balance is actually Volume control between the two Left and Right. Its the EXACT same idea. To make separate volume controls involves NO hardware additions. Its the simple ability of combining the Connect Amps Main Volume Control with the Balance Volume nob. I do it all the time with mine now, just have to jump into the settings to adjust it correctly. My volume/balance request in addition to Mono is a basic and simpe IFTTT procedure.

My guess is, Sonos wants to keep things with in their own devices. Plus as a consumer, we would rather purchase one device, instead of having to purchase more than one to do a simple task. Why add more devices to the mix, which cost more money... 

My request is a VERY SIMPLE, well paired request with your Mono Request. Your clients would appreciate this feature! 🙂
My original question was actually a bit simpler than that, though. I don't need separate volume control over the two outputs, as I can set that manually (or via RS232) on the d-class power amp. All I'd like is both the left and right phonos to output identical, mono-summed outputs so I can send them to different zones and (post the amp) volumes. Should be easy, but would need a software implementation. Would've thought this would be easy enough tho. Hey ho.
Just curious.. why can't you use a Y cable out of a connect into the mono power amp? You can daisy chain this to a second (or more) additional power amps as needed. This is how I feed a mono amp that drives my outdoor bell tower speaker and have had no issues.
Userlevel 1
You can't sum signals with a Y cable. You can only split. I explained this elsewhere. If it worked for you it's because the amp already has an internal mono signal summing circuit. Otherwise you'll damage the preamp. I don't think anyone at Sonos cares otherwise this post would have had a reply over the last 2 years or whenever it was posted. I'm giving up and moving on, I'll use other products when really must have mono.
I suppose if the impedance of the Connect outputs is low enough then each side could struggle trying to drive the other so I see where you might want to use a mixer or at least a few isolation resistors. I guess a software change would in fact be the cleanest way to accomplish this.
I am seriously considering ditching my 5 zone sonos setup because 3 of the zones would be much better served by dual mono. Has anyone found a good alternative?
100% Agreed. This could likely be easily accomplished in firmware/software. Why no mono option? Who knows? Sonos? Please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I agree this should be an option, especially considering how two play units can be made a stereo pair.  this essentially turns each stereo play unit into a mono play unit.  if it can be done with a play, it can be done with a connect..
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
After 3 years the answers is still No. Why ? Some may ask , well it's very simple actually. Design you audio system correctly and do not ask Sonos to change their product due to your poor choices of equipment and lack of knowlegde. Anyone here who is complaining about Mono for outdoors. The correct solution is to use a connect preamp and a amplifier which can supports mono output if that's what you desire. Furthermore Sonos amps arent very powerful and suck at driving outdoor speakers in the first place. With regard to using the left output in an amplifier for one room and the right for another room. Are you people reading what you write? Your asking Sonos to basically make a 1 zone device 2 zones. It's so convoluted on many different levels. Basically because you guys are all cheap you want Sonos to reinvent the wheel for you. I'm no Sonos advocate but, they have a product for whatever you want to do. It's all there already. It's no wonder they wouldn't do this. Aside from possible limitations of design. Quit crying about this moronic feature and do it the correct way. If you want a robust outdoor speaker system your going to need amplification anyway. Get over it.