Question

Can I use my Sonos speakers without Wifi?

• 10 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Hey people,

I have two Sonos Play 5's (Gen 2). I have them currently set up to my wireless router but i'd like to bring these speakers to my beach house where there is no wifi. Is there any solution you could suggest? and would i use them both?
Cheers,

Benny

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The only way it would work is if you set them up at home so the Line is auto-Play. So when you go to the beech house just plug in your source to the line on the Play 5 and it will work.
I assume if you have them as a stereo pair at home then they won't work as a stereo pair in your beech house - Others may be able to confirm.
I assume if you have them as a stereo pair at home then they won't work as a stereo pair in your beech house - Others may be able to confirm.
They should actually. They'll connect via SonosNet, using Auto-IP addressing, forming their own network island.

Be sure to set up Line-In Autoplay before detaching from the home network, though an Android configured to attach to SonosNet can, in extremis, be connected to the Auto-IP island.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They should actually. They'll connect via SonosNet, using Auto-IP addressing, forming their own network island.

Be sure to set up Line-In Autoplay before detaching from the home network, though an Android configured to attach to SonosNet can, in extremis, be connected to the Auto-IP island.

Thanks ratty - I thought that might be so but wanted to err on the side of caution!