Question

Can I use my existing computer speakers?

• 3 October 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
I'm running a Play5 streaming from my NAS. I have the Sonos app installed on my PC... I have surround speakers and a 12" sub on my PC...can I have this play my computers speakers as well?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Well I wouldn't know about the syncing issues so I can't argue that.
However, I don't agree about the financial suicide though... I still spent $500 on a speaker and may buy more for other rooms.
But no one is going to use computers alone with this software... first of all most people only have one computer and what would be the point of using Sonos software with tons of better choices out there for a PC. Second many people are running a laptop or if a desktop have crappy speakers anyway so once again most people wouldn't do this.
If the Connect was only $100 I might consider it for my PC but if I'm at my computer desk I don't really care what is going on at the rest of the speakers anyway so I might as well use Jriver or one of my other Jukebox software. At $350 for the Connect I'm only $150 away from another Play 5... so to use your term that would be financial suicide for me....I would buy another P5 before spending 350 to run a 400 speaker set.
Anyway, no big deal. Still getting to know the system and deciding if and how many additions I'll make to my Play 5.

The last company that allowed the computer application to mimic a player was Squeezebox. Their products failed, yet their fans still are able to mimic their hardware by using the computer application on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi computer that costs 1/3 to 1/20th what their hardware used to cost. So yes, there are people who would use cheap computers instead of buying dedicated hardware because it has happened before. Since the failure of Squeezebox, not one multi-room streamer company has allowed this feature. Make of that what you will.
Badge +1
Well I wouldn't know about the syncing issues so I can't argue that.
However, I don't agree about the financial suicide though... I still spent $500 on a speaker and may buy more for other rooms.
But no one is going to use computers alone with this software... first of all most people only have one computer and what would be the point of using Sonos software with tons of better choices out there for a PC. Second many people are running a laptop or if a desktop have crappy speakers anyway so once again most people wouldn't do this.
If the Connect was only $100 I might consider it for my PC but if I'm at my computer desk I don't really care what is going on at the rest of the speakers anyway so I might as well use Jriver or one of my other Jukebox software. At $350 for the Connect I'm only $150 away from another Play 5... so to use your term that would be financial suicide for me....I would buy another P5 before spending 350 to run a $500 speaker set.
Anyway, no big deal. Still getting to know the system and deciding if and how many additions I'll make to my Play 5.
Not as configured. For both technical (the Controller is just a controller, PC timing issues make syncing difficult) and financial reasons (making a computer into a Sonos device is financial suicide) this is not possible. You can put a Sonos Connect between your computer and the speakers, which will allow Sonos to play PC sounds and your computer to play Sonos sources.