Answered

Can I mount a connect (not connect:amp) upside down?

• 8 February 2017
  • 11 replies

I'm limited on space and for a cable management, I need to mount the Connect upside down in my desk. Any concerns? I'll be using the 10 lbs, super heavy duty velcro. Does the connect get hot at all? I'll be hard-wiring it.
icon

Best answer by PMSyPly 9 February 2017, 14:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They do need ventilation and the connect:Amp will especially get warm on top. If you mount them upside down but leave the tops and sides exposed I would think they would be just fine. I wouldn't just lay it upside down on its top.
So as for heat though, it appears to not have any venting out of the top and the bottom vents appear to just be passive venting, with no fan. So that is partially why I posted. Thanks for the reply.

They do need ventilation and the connect:Amp will especially get warm on top. If you mount them upside down but leave the tops and sides exposed I would think they would be just fine. I wouldn't just lay it upside down on its top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know my amp top does get warm.
CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80 conducts heat through the top surface and radiates from there.
This is great to know! Thanks. So am I going to mess things up by mounting it upside down or not? Will the heat just flow through the openings in the bottom instead?
CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80 conducts heat through the top surface and radiates from there.
Hard to say. It's certainly not designed to be used upside down.
Respectfully, do you think I would have bothered signing up to post this simple question if I didn't know this? It is the only reason why I'm here. I figured someone would have an answer for this.

Hard to say. It's certainly not designed to be used upside down.
Respectfully, do you think I would have bothered signing up to post this simple question if I didn't know this?
Respectfully, you've been offered opinions by a couple of experienced Sonos users. Make of that what you will. Personally I would no more mount one upside down than I would put something on top without a ventilation gap. Phone Sonos if you want an instant official answer.
I'll call thanks. Heat rises. And since there are no official ventilation gaps on the top of the connect, it would make sense if the large holes on the bottom were suddenly facing up, the heat could easily escape.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Suedely-

No problem at all. I think you'll be fine with the Connect upside down. Enjoy the music!:$
If you mount them upside down but leave the tops and sides exposed I would think they would be just fine. I wouldn't just lay it upside down on its top.
This is spot on, I think; Connect runs warm to the touch even in standby mode. While there are holes on the bottom, rising heat will have access to these only if the internal construction of the unit allows this access.