Question

Can I hook up my record player to Sonos ARC

• 23 June 2020
  • 3 replies

I recently purchased the Sonos Arc and I’m curious if I can connect it to my record player without buying any additional Sonos products. 

I have Fluance RT82 turntable connected to a Sony Sterio Receiver. If I buy a converter cable, can I plug directly into the Sonos Arc HDMI port from my sony receiver? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not really going to work.  Your receiver doesn’t have any output to get audio to the Arc.  The Arc can take in HDMI ARC/eARC or optical audio, but your receiver can produce that.  The best you could do would be to get a preamp that has an optical output, bypassing your receiver altogether.

FYI, none of the Sonos products can take direct input from a turntable that doesn’t already have a built in preamp.  You would need that regardless.

Not really going to work.  Your receiver doesn’t have any output to get audio to the Arc.  The Arc can take in HDMI ARC/eARC or optical audio, but your receiver can produce that.  The best you could do would be to get a preamp that has an optical output, bypassing your receiver altogether.

FYI, none of the Sonos products can take direct input from a turntable that doesn’t already have a built in preamp.  You would need that regardless.

Hi Danny, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Just to reiterate, I would need a turnable that has a built-in preamp, from there I can connect to a preamp that has an optical output, and then to the Sonos arc? No receiver is needed?

You don’t need to replace your turntable, you just would need a preamp that has optical output between the turntable and the Arc.  I don’t have a turntable myself, and can’t really recommend a good preamp, just giving suggestions.