Answered

Can I connect Sonos Port or Amp to Samsung soundbar without using Sonos speakers ?

• 17 July 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a Samsung HW-Q900T soundbar connected to my Samsung TV which I am very happy with. I would like to add this Samsung soundbar to the rest of my Sonos system. Can I connect a Sonos Port or Amp to the Samsung soundbar without adding any additional Sonos speakers. The new Sonos Pot has a digital out but it is a round female connector like an RCA plug, it does not look like a conventional digital optical plug. On the other hand my soundbar has a digital audiooptical in and HDMI in connections.

icon

Best answer by airforceteacher 19 July 2021, 01:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Since the soundbar only has an optical and HDMI inputs, you would need an analog to digital optical converter to connect the Port to the soundbar like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGHNCMW

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Presumably I would need to use a Sonos Amp, as Sonos Port will not drive speakers alone ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

There are adapters to convert coax digital to optical digital as well.

Userlevel 7

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Presumably I would need to use a Sonos Amp, as Sonos Port will not drive speakers alone ?

If you just want to add your Samsung soundbar to your Sonos ecosystem, you only need the Port. The Amp is only needed if you want to power passive speakers.