Answered

Can I bypass a/d convertion when using line-in of play:5?

• 15 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi there!

I am about to own a turnable and was wondering if i can have a fully analog path from turnable to sonos play 5 speaker?

I found some forum posts about this issue but i think was other users telling their opinion and couldn’t manage to figure out how signal path works.

I would like some sonos official answer about this!

Some users in this forum claim that once the analog signal from line-in reaches play-5 speaker whether or not this speaker sends data to other speakers the a/d conversion is the only path through.

So does every signal from line in is converted in digital and then optionally sent to other sonos devices and each device makes the d/a final conversion?

If so, is there any way to bypass the the a/d part of the a/d/a process?

If not what do i need to do to have a fully analog path?

Thanks a lot!!

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 December 2020, 18:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Also, when set to uncompressed the Line-In encoding is lossless, meaning the analog output will be identical to the analog input for all audible frequencies, as stated in Nyquist/Shannon.  Nothing is lost due to digitization, despite what the audiophiles may say.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem

The sampling theorem introduces the concept of a sample rate that is sufficient for perfect fidelity for the class of functions that are band-limited to a given bandwidth, such that no actual information is lost in the sampling process

There is no analog bypass. The Line-In signal is digitised on input.

Given that you plan to pipe a turntable into Sonos the fact that the signal goes through ADC and DAC should hardly trouble you. Any possible side-effects would be imperceptible compared to the shortcomings of the original signal.