Question

Buying An Older Sonos Connect

• 26 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Hey everyone. I have a bunch of sonos speakers at my place that I love but I started to get into vinyl recently and picked up a great turntable. I wanted to grab a sonos connect to connect the turntable to my sonos system but the price ($508 canadian after taxes) is too high for me at the moment.

But there is a person close by who is willing to sell me their sonos connect for $175. I noticed it has the older buttons (mute instead of the play/pause), they claim it's only 2 year old but I have sonos play 1 speakers older than that and they have the new buttons so I don't know. The guy seems fine and trust worthy and I would like to pick up this unit. Does anyone have any advice for me? And when you buy used sonos gear, can I still register the serial number to my account?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You will be taking a chance in buying an out of warranty used unit as you would with anything else that is of that nature. Other than that there is no risk.

The free software upgrade that will be applied to the unit once you add it to your system after a factory reset will make the buttons work the way they do on your play 1 units, and the mute button will get converted to have a play/pause functionality. If it doesn't already do so.

If possible, see if the Connect is working in sending out music at the place you are buying it from, to eliminate the risk of it not being functional.

I don't know if the unit can be registered to your account, but even if it cannot, that isn't a big deal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How new the unit is to your friend, when he bought it isn't the same as how long ago it was manufactured. I learned this the hard way when I bought a Sonos from Best Buy and found it was so old Sonos wouldn't initially honor the warranty on it. Finally convinced them it was less than a month since I'd bought it from the clowns at Best Buy and Sonos got me a working replacement.

If you call Sonos with the serial / MAC number they might be able to give you a manufacturing date and warranty status.
Thanks for the info and advice. There's another person who's selling the newer connect (the one with the newer buttons) and comes in the box as well but he's asking for more.

I always buy my sonos stuff brand new but that connect is too expensive for me to grab it right now and I'd love to get my vinyls wireless asap aha
I agree; for just that purpose/use Connect is vastly overpriced. Look for a new or used 5 unit instead - at least that isn't just a dumb device.