Question

Bridge versus Boost

• 4 August 2019
  • 11 replies

What is the difference between the older Bridge device and the new Boost device? Do they perform the same function? Is there any functional improvement in upgrading from the Bridge to the Boost?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Boost is hardly 'new' -- it's getting on for 5 years old -- but it is newer than Bridge.

Boost has better wireless than Bridge, benefitting from SonosNet 2.0 with its improved range and resilience. Moreover Boost was designed to have better interference rejection, such as when it's placed close to a WiFi router.

Over the years it's emerged that Bridge power supplies can gradually weaken with age, giving rise to intermittent connectivity problems which can be hard to track down.

If you have a Bridge and it's working fine you may choose to leave it in place, otherwise Sonos have a FAQ detailing the options.
Thanks! That is really helpful.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Recently switched from the Bridge to a Boost and I believe the connectivity is much better.

Had some random dropouts before and now it is rock solid.
I think it is better too. I had no problem switching it when I followed others' instructions. It would be nice if the Sonos support included such information. I find the official site often opaque.
Badge

I think it is better too. I had no problem switching it when I followed others' instructions. It would be nice if the Sonos support included such information. I find the official site often opaque.

I’m still searching through different posts, but could you some help in getting to this so called “other’s” instructions.

Otherwise my current plan is to following SONOS’s steps below (to replace my Bridge with Boost).

Thanks much.

Boost-Outline-2.png

Replace your Bridge with a Boost

To replace your Bridge with a Boost, follow the steps below:

1. Have your Boost, the Boost's power cable, and an Ethernet cable ready near your router.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System > Add Boost or Bridge and follow the on-screen prompts to add this product to your Sonos system.
  3. The app will detect that your Bridge is still wired to your router. Tap Connect to router.
  4. Follow the steps in the app to get your Boost connected to the router and then to your Sonos system. If you don't have any open ports on your router, you can temporarily wire the Boost to the second Ethernet port on the Bridge until the setup is finished.
  5. Disconnect your Bridge from the router after your Boost has been added. If you had the Boost wired to the Bridge for this process, you can now wire the Boost to the router in place of the Bridge.

ssp42432,

I seem to think the Sonos instructions may have been updated here to clear up previous ambiguities and the 'other’ instructions being referred to by Russ855, are now incorporated in the current support page on this topic and are therefore no longer of any real importance. 

The 'other' instructions from users simply recommended that the user did not initially wire the Boost in place of the Bridge, (mentioned as part of a brand new Sonos system setup) but instead set up their Boost 'away from the router’ by simply first adding it to the existing Sonos Household… and then swapping it afterwards with the Bridge.

The current instructions you have posted therefore now includes this and so should work just fine.

In summary, the important factor is to not remove the Bridge (root hub) until you have setup the Boost in the same Sonos Household and when it is, you can then swap the devices.

Thanks Ken_Griffiths,

I think the issue is resolved by the current SONOS documentation. I would follow their instructions.

Badge

Thank you all.  I will proceed with the SONOS steps and make sure of the order of those steps per mentioned here.  Thanks again.

Thank you all.  I will proceed with the SONOS steps and make sure of the order of those steps per mentioned here.  Thanks again.

Hope you’ll pop back afterwards and let us know how things actually went for you. :thumbsup:

any help is appreciated.

I installed boost a week ago. I've been using the bridge for 5 years+.

Since the boost was installed, one of two Windows machines cannot run the controller.  Win 10 works, Win 8 "locks up". Tech support could not resolve. It is NOT a firewall issue. The Sonos application will install, asks to configure firewall, says it has connected to sonos then it just locks everything up. Have uninstalled 6 times with firewall and virus protection disabled or uninstalled. 

Mobile devices all work fine, just the one desktop is inoperable. 

Any thoughts?

any help is appreciated.

I installed boost a week ago. I've been using the bridge for 5 years+.

Since the boost was installed, one of two Windows machines cannot run the controller.  Win 10 works, Win 8 "locks up". Tech support could not resolve. It is NOT a firewall issue. The Sonos application will install, asks to configure firewall, says it has connected to sonos then it just locks everything up. Have uninstalled 6 times with firewall and virus protection disabled or uninstalled. 

Mobile devices all work fine, just the one desktop is inoperable. 

Any thoughts?

A lot of thoughts, but here are a few just to start you off, as clearly this is “more likely” going to be a local PC issue ...

Have you tried running msconfig and setup a selective startup of the PC to remove all Applications from memory apart from device drivers and required windows services (on startup) to see if it maybe something running in memory?

I would also run Windows chkdsk and disk cleanup utility to check and clear the main disk drive

Check free space and swap file size 

Windows 8 also has a memory module test that runs from Admin Tools… you can get further info here…

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/6cde20/memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/

As your other controllers are working okay, you also need to check the local network connection and ensure you can at least 'ping’ and see your Speakers from the local machine.