Question

Bridge and Wired Player

• 4 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have a Play5, a Connect and a Bridge. Currently the Connect is wired to my network and I am not using the Bridge.
Is there any advantage in using the Bridge or is it essentially surplus to requirements in this kind of setup?

Thanks,

Dylan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If the PLAY:5 is working fine the BRIDGE is surplus to requirements, unless you want to use it to wire some third party device to the network. Since Sonos devices in SonosNet mode have live Ethernet ports, they can be used as wireless bridges (small 😎.
Thanks for the swift reply
Hello, I have a connect amp which I want to have connected not wireless I want to connect by wired ethernet. But once I do this ethenet connections al speakers stop playing. The controller stops music. Then I unplug the ethernet cable from connect amp. The music plays again. Is there any configuration to have connect amp ONLY wired with ethernet cable?
Thanks.
Hello, I have a connect amp which I want to have connected not wireless I want to connect by wired ethernet. But once I do this ethenet connections al speakers stop playing. The controller stops music. Then I unplug the ethernet cable from connect amp. The music plays again. Is there any configuration to have connect amp ONLY wired with ethernet cable?
Thanks.

If everything stops when you wire more than one Sonos device then you have an STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) problem. One of your components -- a switch or router -- is blocking the STP traffic which Sonos requires to avoid network loops. Here is a list of known issues.
It sounds like the connect:amp is the first unit to be wired (ie the system is currently in Wi-Fi mode). If that's the case it'll take a few minutes for everything to switch over to sonosnet won't it?
That could be what's meant, but I assumed that "ethenet connections al speakers stop playing" (sic) implied they were wired.
I just took the "s" on connections to be a typo, ie one wired connection. But hey, let's not be grammar nazis about this, spelling and punctuation don't matter in the modern world, right?