Answered

Bose connect App

• 3 August 2018
  • 8 replies

According to Google world wide there are 466 million people with a hearing disabling, there is a wider 360 million worldwide suffer from Tinnitus (ringing/buzzing in ears)a lot of these people will have some sort of hearing aid, head phones, what a missed opportunity from Sonos not providing a app to Connect these people.
And if thats not enough, what about the people that just want to sit alone with there head phones on & listen to sonos music.

A big sales opportunity missed
icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 August 2018, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure what hearing aids have to do with this, but it sounds like you are suggesting Sonos create a free app to let you use the headphones of its chief competitor on their system.

Sounds kind of self-defeating.
Well as a retired Salesperson I see a way that sonos could sell another 600 million systems, thats not self-defeating just good sense
Well as a retired Salesperson I see a way that sonos could sell another 600 million systems, thats not self-defeating just good sense

Well then you should contact the CEO, because in 2011, Sonos sold its 1 millionth unit. Even if they doubled sales every year since (and they haven't), they would only be at 128 million. For them to sell 600 million, you must be a very good salesman, especially if you are giving something away in order to let people use Bose. 😳
I'm not following your logic here. Am I understanding you correctly that you want to sonos app to be able to play audio directly through the phone or tablet it's running on, correct? Assuming that's what you mean, there are few points to consider here.

- Sonos clearly wouldn't want to give away a free product like that, so they would have it only function if you have purchased a Sonos product, or paid some sort of service fee. I'm assuming the fee would be a no go since they don't provide any content you can't get from a music directly, or your own content you already own. Who would pay for that? So they have to only allow it to work if you have a Sonos product on the same wifi network. Probably couldn't even even have it work on a mobile network.

- The audio would really need to be in sync with the audio coming from Sonos speakers (grouped). I understand that you're thinking it would be used with headphones connected to the app, but there wouldn't be a way to limit that. People would want to use it with Bluetooth speakers....probably multiple. So there would be the tech challenge of getting this device, and your other devices in sync. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people would realize that they don't need to buy another play:1, they can just use their phone and a Bluetooth speaker instead.

- As mentioned above, there is nothing a Sonos music playing app can do on a phone or tablet that cannot already be done through other apps, if you're goal is to use headphones. So why would people who want to use headphones be motivated to use a Sonos app instead of the app of the actual music service.

That said though, if there was a Sonos music playing app, I would use it all the time. I do find it slightly annoying that there isn't a consolidated app to play all the services that I use while away from the home. I probably wouldpay adecent size one time fee to get it all consolidated into one app.

Now if you were thinking that Sonos should make their own set of headphones that acts as it's own separate zone, that's a little different. I'm not sure why people would chose the Sonos one over other headphone options out there, but let's say they would. It would have to also play in sync with other sonos speakers, including handle 5.0 ghZ wireless to be in sync with TV audio. And, you'd be wearing a computer on your head.

Maybe there is a market there, and I'm just not seeing it. Maybe Sonos is product is developing the product as we speak. However, I'd say there are enough reasons not to create such a product, plus many unknowns, to punch holes in any argument that Sonos definitely should be directly supporting headphone use.

Well then you should contact the CEO, because in 2011, Sonos sold its 1 millionth unit. Even if they doubled sales every year since (and they haven't), they would only be at 128 million. For them to sell 600 million, you must be a very good salesman, especially if you are giving something away in order to let people use Bose. :$
Ok, so lets get back on track I know nothing is for nothing, but 600 million potential new customers is a sales person dream.
As I said before I am retired, & have no intress in selling or contact the CEO, but anybody with sales experience knows that this is a market waiting to be tap, maybe Sonos hearing aids or Sonos Headphones.

One day I will buy a sound system where I can use a Hearing aids, Headphones or speakers the way I want to use it.
We agree on something, 600 million new customers is a dream. :D

Still not sure what hearing aids have to do with headphones, though. :?
By way of comparison, according to the article below, Apple sold 3.5 million smart watches in Q2. The total market was 10 million.

https://www.idropnews.com/news/apple-watch/apple-watch-continues-to-dominate-the-smartwatch-market/78670/

But that's one quarter, assuming that it's been equal for the past year...that would be a total of 40 million units for the past year. Extrapolate with the same sales over the past 4 years, which is surely a vast over estimate, that's 160 million units. Assume that the sales are double that for the next 4 years, or 320 million. That's 480 million units over 8 years....for the entire smart watch market. And again, that's almost assuredly greatly overestimating the market.

But Sonos can do better than that by getting into the headphone/hearing aid business?