Answered

Boost network

• 10 September 2017
  • 7 replies

I've been having drop out and system recognition issues with my Sonos set up (5xPlay:1, 2xPlay:3 and 1xConnect) and am now purchasing a Boost to (hopefully) rectify these issues. However, being a public house (tavern) I am concerned that anyone with a Sonos app will be able to access the system. Is this the case, or can I password protect the SonosNet?
icon

Best answer by John B 10 September 2017, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Boost makes absolutely no difference to the situation. They could only access your Sonos if they can connect to your wifi network.
Thanks. So SonosNet is effectively a sub-network to my existing wireless network? Sorry to be obtuse....
Mlindesay, That is correct.
More or less, yes. And not at all obtuse. Your LAN will have a SonosNet segment and a WiFi segment. The Ethernet cable between the Boost and your router allows information to flow between the two. SonosNet is not truly a separate network at all.
Incidentally you could get an idea of how the setup will work by wiring one of your players to the router.
Thanks John B. Will give it a go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To clarify. If you allow your tavern guests access to the main wi-fi network then they WILL be able to access Sonos.
If you have, however, set up your router so your guests access via a guest network then they will NOT be able to access Sonos