Question

BOOST issue & I am really stumped

• 22 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 15 replies
System was working OK up until a few days ago when some speakers dropped off, re-added them and no issues doing that. My BOOST is connect via ethernet to a iMAC running Sierra (no wifi turned on) and I use the SONOS speakers to provide the network coverage.Now since the issues, if I fire up the desktop controller on the iMAC it tells me my system is not found even though I am connected to the BOOST, but if I turned the wireless on, then it can see it?

If I reset the controller and try and set up a new system, pressing the orange light on the BOOST does not take me any further, it just gives an error message saying its to far from the router. It also won't discover the system when the controller resets as well. I have swapped ethernet ports on the back of the BOOST(no luck), changed router ports (no luck), changed ethernet cable (no luck), turned the BOOST off/ on (no luck), turned router & iMAC on/ off (no luck) nothing else has changed, the system still plays perfectly, just the BOOST issue and as a result i cannot re- add my music library back, get the 1002 error, i suspect they are related?

So before I go and purchase another BOOST can anyone else suggest anything else to check

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

So your BOOST is wired to your iMac. Is it also wired back to the router? If not, what Sonos component is wired to the router?

By the sound of things your system could be in WiFi mode (Standard Setup). If so the BOOST will be non-functional. To check, turn the iMac's wireless back on, make sure you can see the players and look in About My Sonos System. Do they show WM:1 (WiFi mode)?

By the way, with all your resetting you've quite probably set the BOOST and iMac controller up as a new system which has broken it away from the players. If the iMac controller doesn't work, use a different controller to check the WM value in About My Sonos System.
Badge +1
Hi
The BOOST goes to a switch which connects too the router (nothing has changed there), the BOOST shows
BOOST: BOOST
Serial Number:
Version: 7.0 (build 34735162c)
Hardware Version: 1.12.1.2-2
IP Address:
WM: 0

regards
You said "the system still plays perfectly". Use a controller which actually finds the players and check the About My Sonos System for them.
Badge +1
Hi
No the are all showing WM:0. However, I believe I have found the root of the problem, it was a network issue. For some reason the iMAC although connected to an Apple Airport Extreme that gives the 10.1XX range, the MAC for some reason was on a 198.XXX address range, turning off the ethernet and waiting a while, it picked up the 10.1XX range. Not sure how that happened?

thanks for all the help.
For some reason the iMAC although connected to an Apple Airport Extreme that gives the 10.1XX range, the MAC for some reason was on a 198.XXX address range, turning off the ethernet and waiting a while, it picked up the 10.1XX range. Not sure how that happened?
198.xxx or 192.168.xxx? You may have two DHCP servers active. If so you'll continue to run into problems. Do you have two routers on the network?
Badge +1
sorry, i meant 192.168.xxx. No, I only have the Apple AE attached as the router. I have another internet connection in the house as well (BT) but its only broadcasting wireless, I am sure that uses the 192.168.xxx range but how the iMAC picked that range up (if it did) is a mystery.