BlueSound Gen 2. Already?

Show first post

115 replies

how -- or if -- Sonos address downsampling. Perhaps they'll choose to officially support an external transcoding server
Why could this not be built into all future Sonos units, marketing them as high res capable or something on those lines? These players would stream the down sampled versions to other Sonos units in grouped mode, thus maintaining backward compatibility. Then only the first hop to these players would have to support the higher bandwidth needs, not all of the mesh/wifi network. Issues with that could be avoided by a recommendation to hardwire the first hi res compatible unit to the router.
Why could this not be built into all future Sonos units, marketing them as high res capable or something on those lines?
Leaving aside the fact that, according to that What HiFi interview, Sonos sees no compelling merit in hi-res, to make a subset of Players hi-res capable -- and possibly only if wired -- makes for a rather messy marketing message. The simplicity of setup is significantly diluted if users have to start thinking about how streams are directed. Although some of us consider such matters, for most users the self-configuring mesh just works.

I also suspect that syncing a high-res player with grouped downsampled players would present a few technical challenges. Plus there'd inevitably be a demand to supply a native stream to other hi-res capable players in the group rather than short-change them with a downsampled version.
Sonos sees no compelling merit in hi-res

I also suspect that syncing a high-res player with grouped downsampled players would present a few technical challenges. Plus there'd inevitably be a demand to supply a native stream to other hi-res capable players in the group rather than short-change them with a downsampled version.

I thought the What Hi Fi interview hinted at something that will allow hi res music to be played after some kind of Sonos achieved downsampling, that is where my thought arose - and in such a case, offering a native stream to other hi res capable Sonos units would not be needed, the limited objective having been fulfilled.
offering a native stream to other hi res capable Sonos units would not be needed, the limited objective having been fulfilled.
Yes but imagine the pressure to distribute a hi-res stream to other grouped players if they were capable of processing it. Anyway this is all total speculation, and who knows whether Sonos will ever deliver a player capable of hi-res decode. In the absence of such a renderer my position remains that repeated on-the-fly downsampling would be grossly inefficient; the correct solution is to do it one-time and store the result in the library.
The latest "PLAY:1 killer". They seem to have included everything but the kitchen sink.
http://www.whathifi.com/bluesound/pulse-flex/review
Everything except the all important Sonosnet, IMO.
And the price.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Id be happy to pay more and have these features
Id be happy to pay more and have these features

I play virtually everything from "the cloud" these days. None of the extra inputs make any sense for me. Plus, it doesn't support Apple Music, TruePlay or (soon) voice control. Zzzzzzzz.
I see a point in some of the features; but for the bluetooth one and the battery pack to be truly useful, some level of weather protection is also necessary to take advantage of the consequent portability.

But I would not suffer stuttering in music play over home WiFi for the non existent benefits of bandwidth hungrier hi res. As soon as that comes into the picture, the speaker goes out of it, in my book. Even if it has bluetooth and other stuff on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Im not saying Im going to abandon sonos over this but just that I would appreciate if some of these features found on many newer competitors made it into sonos.

- bluetooth - ad hoc streaming of content from phone/tablet to sonos network
- optical in - use for TV input without the expense of a playbar. use for apple airport express digital line in and avoid degradation of analog signal
- one touch presets & battery - no explanation needed !
Does anyone have an idea of Bluesound's sales performance these days? This former Sonos user doesn't seem that impressed with the software: https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2926. In fact at the time of writing he'd put the units into storage.
- bluetooth - ad hoc streaming of content from phone/tablet to sonos network
It would be better done by supporting Google Cast.

- optical in - use for TV input without the expense of a playbar. use for apple airport express digital line in and avoid degradation of analog signal
But Airplay's days are surely numbered?
Does anyone have an idea of Bluesound's sales performance these days? This former Sonos user doesn't seem that impressed with the software: https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2926. In fact at the time of writing he'd put the units into storage.

I didn't much like the UX when I tried it a while back (friend bought a Node), ironically because it kept adding the entire album to the queue when I was trying to play a single track...

I didn't much like the UX when I tried it a while back (friend bought a Node), ironically because it kept adding the entire album to the queue when I was trying to play a single track...

LOL.

I took myself off the public beta weeks ago, and I haven't been tempted to rejoin!

As to the casting thing, it ought to remove any need for line in jacks on the play 1 units, the only thing that they need indoors for added utility to an already versatile package.