BlueSound Gen 2. Already?

http://www.whathifi.com/news/bluesound-announces-generation-2-multi-room-products

I mean, they're only a year or two old, and they're already replacing their complete lineup?

An admission that their initial lineup sucked? Wow.

115 replies

Some nice hardware additions there, was only looking at the range yesterday and looking to see how the software has progressed.

http://www.bluesound.com/wp_content/uploads/2015/08/Bluesound_Gen2-USLaunch_PressRelease_Aug25-15.pdf?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_source=social&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=&utm_source=bls-social&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=&utm_source=bls-social&utm_medium=bls-post&utm_campaign=&utm_source=bls-social&utm_medium=bls-post&utm_campaign=bls-gen2
Nice Play 1 alternative ... http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-15875-bls-pulse-flex-blk.aspx
Userlevel 1
http://www.whathifi.com/news/bluesound-announces-generation-2-multi-room-products

I mean, they're only a year or two old, and they're already replacing their complete lineup?

This is what happens when a brand actually listens to their customers and adjusts its line-up accordingly....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is what happens when a brand actually listens to their customers and adjusts its line-up accordingly....

I agree. Bluesound read the market, see what the competition are doing and react to it. Their initial lineup was very highly rated but they still invest in improving on it. Sonos should take note. Its not like we havent been asking for battery powered/outdoor speakers, digital/usb input, bluetooth, headphone out and more hard buttons for years already.

Some additional innovative touches like IR input with learning function and trigger output.
Hmmm... Seems to me this is what companies following the planned obsolescence model do. No thanks...
Sonos isn't exactly leading the way into the future. While admirable that products from 10 years ago can be upgraded via software to current spec, this just reinforces that Sonos is limited by its 10 year old platform.

24-bit audio, anyone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hmmm... Seems to me this is what companies following the planned obsolescence model do. No thanks...
Exactly. I'd rather have an unchanged product that is manufactured and supported for many years rather than one that is replaced by a new model after a year, leading to no further support a year or two later.
24-bit playback makes zero sense, and will be about as successful as SACD
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Exactly. I'd rather have an unchanged product that is manufactured and supported for many years rather than one that is replaced by a new model after a year, leading to no further support a year or two later.

There must be a middle ground. Sonos cannot stand still and not bring out updated hardware with modern features just to support some 10 year old device. With their 1 billion revenue projection they must have enough money sloshing about to be able to handle a 2 tier firmware track - one for the new stuff and one for the old. Sales will start to dip before long when the feature comparison charts start to look very empty for Sonos compared to the rest.
Nice Play 1 alternative ... http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-15875-bls-pulse-flex-blk.aspx

Headphone jack, lots of hard buttons, and a battery option. Somebody is paying more attention to Sonos user requests than Sonos does!
I ordered a Bluesound Flex this afternoon, if anything I can use use it for headphone listening in my "chair" 😃
Also impressed that they have a server product, support home automation integration, and publish a roadmap. They are really going after every weakness in the Sonos product line!
Userlevel 1

Sorry, but that's asinine. The Gen2 devices obsolete absolutely nothing. I guess companies are supposed to sit tight and just mike their original design for decades without improvement? Actually Sonos has been pretty good at that model with their Connect and Amp.

I use both Sonos (own at leas tone of nearly every device) and also use Bluesound. I love my Sonos for the HT setup with the Playbar/Sub/and Amp feeding rear speakers, but otherwise Bluesound's hardware tops the Sonos gear in every aspect. I have used Sonos for years in spite of the absolutely stupid for factor of the devices. The Gen 1 Bluesound was just as bad with every device being a silly size and form factor.

I attended a Bluesound demo with a factory rep and when the Q&A came around my first question was "why aren't the devices consistent in size and shape placement with other gear?" My next wish was for an analog input similar to Sonos. Well along comes Gen2 and every device is improved in every way. They made them a nice size - exactly 1/2 of a standard rack shelf. They added not only an analog line in, but it also serves as a mini Toslink optical input as well. As mentioned, they also have a nice but unnecessary server in the Vault. It is unnecessary as the devices play media from an attached USB device perfectly.
Sound Quality? Well Bluesound already blew Sonos away in that regard. Any one that thinks their Play5 sounds great (I love mine) should listen to the Pulse. It is on another level.

I do love that Sonos created a great concept and has successfully milked it over the years, and their Playbar and Sub are defining products for that space. I will continue to use Sonos for my video setup, but for 2 channel high quality audio they've been completely left in the dust. I have two Bluesound Nodes and will be getting at least one of the new ones and likely a Powernode as well.
Awww, the shills are so cute when they get all offended and stuff. Warms the cockles of my heart. 😉
I ordered a Bluesound Flex this afternoon, if anything I can use use it for headphone listening in my "chair" :D

So how did this work out? I see Crutchfield is pushing Bluesound pretty hard now.
Userlevel 1
Who's a shill? sure I've got two posts as historically I don,t request here but did just stumble in. Never really needed to be here as my Sonos has worked well for many years. I have thousands invested in the Sonos system but would love to see them up their game. Be defensive as you want, but as long a Sonos sits pat and ignores hi-res audio and owner requests, others will gladly step in.
In all the years I've been posting on forums, I've never found the need to go to a rival product's forum to defend my preferred product. I couldn't care less what Bluesound fora are saying about Sonos, and even if I did; it's their sandbox, let them play in it. Why do you care that we post unfavorably about Bluesound? Nothing said was inaccurate, and certainly a generational revamp after barely a year in business is something which can be called into question, no?
Would I choose hi res and flashy looks over perfectly adequate CD quality music capability, ease of set up and higher levels of music playing stability in a multi room set up?

The nice thing is that there are choices in the market, but I know where my preferences lie.
Userlevel 1
So to offer anything to the discussion in a thread opened in theory to discuss the competitor's new generation is out of bounds? I did not start the thread, only countering the argument that a new generation offering improvement to the product line is a good thing. We are talking about digital network streaming devices here, not power amps. digital audio is advancing quickly and I would expect any system chosen to offer updates as technology changes.

If you are happy with your Sonos system, then by all means, enjoy it! Just as I am enjoying mine as I type this. But the fact is that they have not moved forward with higher quality core components (Connect and Amp) and are now facing competition. I truly wish they had a product that offered what BlueSound offers now. I would keep expanding my Sonos kit and have no need for two systems.

Sonos owners have been asking for updated features for years now. I would hope we all would be wanting to see competition drive the state of the art forward. But if such discussion is not wanted, well actually, too bad.
So to offer anything to the discussion in a thread opened in theory to discuss the competitor's new generation is out of bounds?
No it isn't.
But statements that Sonos is blown out of the water for sound quality will be challenged because they are subjective opinions that merit a challenge.
And regulars here are tired of the hi res audio nonsense.
On another thread here recently there was another assertion with no reasoning provided as to how the first generation Bluesound product that is equivalent to a Connect Amp was a much superior provider of sound quality. When this was challenged with experiences and specifications, the assertion changed to - that is what the salesman told me.
Is the 2009 model of play 5 not good enough anymore? I'd defer judgement till hearing what Trueplay tuning does to it - leave aside how the 2015 version will sound.
On the other hand I could make an equally strong assertion that a play 1 pair + Sub will blow any all Bluesound solution out of the water. Even if that is so, it is silly to say this.
No one here is against well reasoned and unbiased discussion.
The Play 5 Gen 1 was never great, I had one but sold it on, sure the bass was more than the Play 1's but wooly / booming. The outstanding feature of Sonos is the software and the updates. Hopefully the Gen 2 addresses the bass ssue and keen to have a trial.

Regulars will know I had several Simple Audio roomplayers akin to the Sonos connect amp and it will was genuinally better for me in the audio department but the software sucked and the company folded. I would have dumped Sonos if Simple Audio got their software working and promises never materialised.

I managed to compare the Play 5 gen 1 against the Bluesound Pulse gen 1 and much prefered the Pulse but this was 12 months or so ago at a Sevenoaks store and having had my fingers burnt before with Simple Audio decided to stick with Sonos despite knowing I could have had better in the audio department. I have a Blusesound Pulse Flex in order so keen to see how it performs, main use will be for headphones as I can stick it on the table next to my "spot". Bluesound is part of the same company who own NAD, their digital amp technology is used in the Bluesound range.

There is better in every field you look, but cost is not a measure of quality 🙂 reliability / useability counts for more than most realise.
I ordered a Bluesound Flex this afternoon, if anything I can use use it for headphone listening in my "chair" :D

So how did this work out? I see Crutchfield is pushing Bluesound pretty hard now.

Not due until the end of the month, I think everything else in both colours is now available except the Pulse Flex in white which is what I orderd.
My questions about Bluesound:
1. Do they have a product equivalent of a Connect Amp now that significantly exceeds the 55wpc of the Sonos unit, and if they don't, why would it perform any better with any set of third party speakers? Do they have a Sub type product that can bond with their amp the way Connect Amp/Sub can?
2. Do they have a product that delivers sound quality in same ballpark that a play 1 pair + Sub can deliver?
3. Do they stream hi res via wireless - I ask because Naim doesn't, wireless is restricted to 16/44 and anything more needs ethernet wires to be run - and if they do stream hi res in this manner on the home wifi, how robust is the music play when faced with wifi bandwidth competition inside the home?

Unless the answers to such questions vindicate them, how does the higher price point get justified? Even the same price points would not be justified then, if for instance music play isn't as stable as what Sonos provides.
In the last couple of years I have yet to see a product platform that does everything that Sonos does just as well as it does, and does some things significantly better. Even at much higher price points.

I haven't found any where home audio is concerned, I am not very familiar with TV applications since I have little interest in that direction.

That is the only thing missing where Sonos is concerned, IMO, the spur of genuine competition.
Hi Kumar, if interested all the info you need can be found here... http://www.bluesound.com

The Powernode is 60w into 8 Ohms, no seperate sub but they do have a satelite pair of speakers and matching sub, Flex Pulse is akin to Play 1 but also will have a battery pack, line in/optical in, headphone out and preset buttons. I tried a Sonos Sub - boom, boom goes the room so it went back, might be ok with version 6.0 with trueplay.

They do stream hires via wireless, sonewhere they mention about signal strength vs resolution, so as long as your wireless network is in spec 🙂 .... but they can also be wired like Sonos to Homeplugs or your switch.

Totally agree with you about competition and I have tried most but never sold off all my Sonos gear as the software is so good.

Edit
Forgot to say one interesting thing about Bluesound is that the MD or someone said that they were NOT pitching against Sonos.