Best way to configure my setup with record deck

• 2 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

“Best way”, not “desk way”! can't see how to edit that so….

Hi there,

After some setup advice.

I bought I record player, which I connect via a pre-amp to a Sonos AMP.

I don't have any speakers attached to the amp. I group it with my Arc + L/R ones and Sub for the sound.

This is working ok, but the base levels from the vinyl is nowhere near as meaty as my TV / digital music sound.

I like some healthy base, but I don’t want to keep turning it up/down every time I move from the deck to TV etc.

I’d also be interested if there is a smarter way to group or set this all up.

Any thoughts welcome (but I'd like to avoid buying anything else!)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Under the Line-In Settings on the Amp, adjust the Source Level higher.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4838?language=en_US

Also set Audio Compression to Uncompressed.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4839?language=en_US

Badge +1

Under the Line-In Settings on the Amp, adjust the Source Level higher. Also set Audio Compression to Uncompressed.

great, thanks, have adjusted the levels higher,

Definitely helped, still not sure the base is getting there like it does from other sources though. 

Userlevel 7

Do you have Loudness turned on under the EQ settings? Are there any settings on the pre-amp that can be adjusted?

The only other thing you can do is adjust the bass in the EQ settings and Sub Level. I know you mentioned that you don’t want to adjust the EQ every time you switch from TV to line-in. But if you use an iOS device, you could download the Soro app. Soro works with the Apple Shortcuts app to create shortcuts and automations to control your Sonos speakers. I use Soro to create preset EQ settings for watching TV and listening to music. I can quickly change the EQ with one tap or by asking Siri.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805

Userlevel 7

Hi

I have a turntable connected to a Sonos Amp as well. For your application the Sonos Amp is somewhat overkill as a Sonos Port would have accomplished the same result for less money.

That said if you really want good low-end here are my suggestions:

With Sonos Amp

1. Attach a pair of full range speakers
  2. Attach a pair of full range speakers with Sonos Sub

Without Sonos Amp

1. Use line-in to a stereo pair of Sonos 5’s (some have used a single Sonos 5 but lacks stereo imaging at distances over 5-6 feet)
Badge +1

Do you have Loudness turned on under the EQ settings? Are there any settings on the pre-amp that can be adjusted?

The only other thing you can do is adjust the bass in the EQ settings and Sub Level. I know you mentioned that you don’t want to adjust the EQ every time you switch from TV to line-in. But if you use an iOS device, you could download the Soro app. Soro works with the Apple Shortcuts app to create shortcuts and automations to control your Sonos speakers. I use Soro to create preset EQ settings for watching TV and listening to music. I can quickly change the EQ with one tap or by asking Siri.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805

Ok thanks. Will look into Soro.

Badge +1

Hi

I have a turntable connected to a Sonos Amp as well. For your application the Sonos Amp is somewhat overkill as a Sonos Port would have accomplished the same result for less money.

That said if you really want good low-end here are my suggestions:

With Sonos Amp

1. Attach a pair of full range speakers
  2. Attach a pair of full range speakers with Sonos Sub

Without Sonos Amp

1. Use line-in to a stereo pair of Sonos 5’s (some have used a single Sonos 5 but lacks stereo imaging at distances over 5-6 feet)

Thanks

i got the amp so I could add speakers when I have the space to justify it.

right now I’m just looking for ways to make the eq work best with the setup I have for duel audio needs.