Beam vs Amp for TV/movies

• 8 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey all, I currently have a beam and really like it, for more esthetic reasons, looking to move to an Amp plus bookshelf speakers. Wondering if anyone can speak to phantom center on Amp vs Beam. Obviously the quality of the sound you’d be getting with an amp would depend on what you’re using. I am leaning toward Q Acoustics 3030. I feel like you’d get better stereo separation with two speakers vs Beam, but wondering what the dialogue experience is like with the Amp. We use the dialogue boost on all our Sonos products. Thanks all!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There is no absolute “best” answer to this question.

If your stereo speakers image well and are not too far from the TV, the center channel is redundant.  BEAM can create somewhat of a surround environment, the stereo speakers cannot. BEAM is Alexa or Google Assistant capable, AMP is not.

I don’t have an AMP handy to check if dialog boost is available when AMP is used with a TV. I expect that dialog boost is available.

Are you using surround speakers?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

not using surround. Just beam. I have a symphonisk that I use to bring sound into the kitchen when the TV is on, but not for surround. Dialogue is king in our house

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have a couple Amps and it appears that Dialog boost is not available. Since TV dialog is important to you and music is not, the Beam may be the better choice.