Answered

B&W AM1 to Sonos Amp

• 26 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Could anyone tell me how many Bowers & Wilkins AM1 outdoor speakers I can run on the Sonos AMP?

I currently have 2 x B&W AM1 speakers running on 1 x Sonos Connect AMP and another 2 x B&W AM1 speakers running on another 1 x Sonos Connect AMP for my outdoor area. I am trying to figure out if I will improve the sound quality if I upgraded to a Sonos AMP and ran all 4 speakers through that or alternatively if I bought 2 x Sonos AMP’s and ran each pair through them as I currently do with the Sonos Connect AMP’s. 

The B&W AM1 say that the recommenced amplifier power is 20-100W into 8 ohms. The nominal impedance is 8 ohms (5.2 ohms minimum). 

Thank you!! 
doug

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 5 June 2020, 01:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @DougQ,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your Question. 

For the record, I’m pretty sure that I got this question wrong on my S.A.T. but this quiz is open book.  

You if the impedance on these speakers is 8 ohms you should be able to wire 4 to your Amp, but you may run the risk of blowing out your speakers and it’s unlikely that you will improve your audio quality in this set-up.

For the speakers you have, you would be better off in my mind sticking with your Connect:Amps unless you wanted to spring for new outdoor speakers go with your Amp.

I’d be interested in the opinion of some of our other community members in this instance. 

Thank you Jean!