Question

AV Receiver and Sonos Connect

• 25 August 2016
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

I already have a sonos connect amp powering some in ceilings, as well as a play 1. I now want to use an AV receiver with a SONOS connect and have a few questions:

When I hit play on the connect amp, there is no turning the system on (its auto sensing)...I just hit play pn the app and it plays. If I'm using an AV receiver though, won't I have to switch the source to wherever the SONOS connect is plugged into.....as well as making sure the AV receiver is always on (or manually turning it on each time I want to use it which is not 'clean'). Is there a way around this or am I just incorrect?

Also...I though I read about an AV receiver that basically had the connect built into it? Does this exist?

Thanks all!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There are some Sony models that have ability to turn or receiver and change to the input for Sonos.

Sony ES models with Music Connect.

Thanks so much Chris! I googled that feature and found this on YouTube for anyone else that is looking for a receiver that plays nicely with Sonos connect. I haven’t tried it yet but it seems promising

https://youtu.be/snez-L3C_no
https://youtu.be/snez-L3C_no
Badge +20
Hi All,

Also...I though I read about an AV receiver that basically had the connect built into it? Does this exist?

Thanks all!

Perhaps you had read about the BluOS module for the NAD C390 amplifier which turns it into a Bluesound streamer / amp?
Another alternative is a Harmony Remote. Even the non-hub versions will let you set an Activity to "Play Sonos" which will turn on the appropriate devices and switch to the inputs selection needed. The Hub versions will let you control Sonos directly from the remote.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
As a side note, look into your AV receiver's capabilities. Is it a network-capable receiver? If so, there may be a smartphone app available, so you can still control power, volume, and input selection without having to walk over to it. That being said, the Connect:Amp offers a much more fluid user experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are some Sony models that have ability to turn or receiver and change to the input for Sonos.

Sony ES models with Music Connect.
No, you'll need to switch the receiver on and select the Connect source, if it wasn't already selected, Sonos doesn't provide a control signal unfortunately.

There's never been a receiver with Sonos built in, so I'm not sure where that idea came from.