audio technica lp120 turntable distortion with the play 5

• 15 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
So I purchased an audio technica lp120 and a sonos 5. The sound is extremely distorted when I play a record.
In Sonos settings, I have gone into the line-in settings and tried the different source levels. No level has an effect on the distorted sound.
On the TT, I have made sure that the switch on back is set to Line In which enables the pre-amp.

Any ideas on what else I can try? I'm getting a little nervous as I have seen other posts with the same issue but they never have a solution.

I don't think I have the ability to test the TT by itself. I don't have a stereo or powered speakers.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It could be the pre-amp. That model has a built-in pre-amp which converts phono mastered output into the line level output needed for Sonos. The switch is in the rear of the unit, next to the USB port. It needs to be set to 'Line'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have headphones or buds you could buy a stereo RCA male to female stereo 3.5mm converter cable and plug it into the turntable outputs, it won't be loud but you'd hear what the turntable is putting out.

First cheap one I saw: https://smile.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Adapter-Audio/dp/B015PBGHTG/ref=sr_1_10