Audio plays in one section of apartment but not the other

• 19 December 2020
  • 12 replies

I have Sonos Connect pre-installed in my apartment. There are speakers in the living room as well as the bedroom ceilings. Since the beginning both have always played together and I’ve never distinguished between the two in settings or anything. But I just noticed that the bedroom speakers are not playing any audio. I’ve also been having problems with music dropping off for several seconds and then coming back on. 

Can you tell me what I need to do to get the music playing again in the bedroom? Have already tried unplugging the power of the Sonos box for 10 secs and plugging back in.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Glad it is sorted.

Ah I just found it! 🤦🏽‍♂️

this was turned off! Should have seen it earlier. Thanks a lot John, ledge.

Yeah there’s this main switchbox but I don’t see anything related to the speakers/audio system?

It looks like the split between the living room and bedroom speakers happens somewhere further down the line. Any switch box you are aware of?  

The first thing to check is that the speaker connections to the C:A are OK.  Power the C:A off completely before you fiddle with the speaker connections. 

Im fiddling around with these but all seems fine and correctly inserted.

Thanks John, yeah all makes sense. What do you think I can try? Any troubleshooting options?

I have two different broadband frequencies, worth disconnecting from one and trying the other?

I don't think so. This is something to do with speaker connections, cables or the speakers themselves. 

Thanks John, yeah all makes sense. What do you think I can try? Any troubleshooting options?

I have two different broadband frequencies, worth disconnecting from one and trying the other?

The first thing to check is that the speaker connections to the C:A are OK.  Power the C:A off completely before you fiddle with the speaker connections. 

Btw you cannot distinguish between the two rooms in Settings because as far as Sonos is concerned there is only one room. The speaker connections are external to Sonos. 

If you have only one Sonos Connect:Amp then all those speakers are non-Sonos passive speakers..

And as some of them are still playing, and the Connect Amp is providing a single output then the problem must lie in connections, cables or the speakers themselves, not the C:A.

Or it may be that there are too many speakers connected to a single device. (Although if it is just two pairs of 8 Ohm speakers it's OK.

Hi John, yes I did mean Connect:Amp.

It’s just one, that connects across the whole

apartment. The speakers are built into the ceiling (that’s how the property was developed), but I’m not 100% certain whether they are Sonos speakers or passive. 

Hi. Do you really mean Connect:Amp? Is it just one or more than one?  Are any of the speakers to which you refer Sonos speakers or are they passive speakers?