Question

Audio coming out of only one speaker when using Pro-ject turntable

• 13 October 2019
  • 3 replies

I recently purchased the Sonos Amp and a Pro-Ject Essential III turntable (the one with built in pre-amp). I have had this set up for about 2 weeks and have been using it to play both albums and stream from Spotify.

I noticed just this morning that when playing albums on the turntable audio is coming out of one speaker only. However, when streaming from Spotify, both speakers emit audio.

Can someone help me figure out what the issue could be?

Thanks so much in advance.

3 replies

Check the connection between the TT and Sonos. If you are using Play:5's, make sure the mini-plug has two black bands and not one (stereo vs mono), and that the plug is fully seated in the socket.
LTDesign,

A few things to perhaps try...
  • Make sure you did not wire the one turntable channel to the sub port on the Amp, by mistake
  • You may want to check the audio output from the turntable. Try it cabled to another Receiver, if you or a friend etc. have access to one. A TV Home Theatre setup will usually have such input.
  • Test the RCA Analog line-in on the Amp with another Line-level source, such as a portable MP3 player, or maybe a mobile, or analog output from a TV etc.
It’s obviously a process of elimination and the above are the first few things that spring to mind.
Thanks for the tips! I disconnected everything and reconnected everything and it works again. Not sure what the problem was exactly. I ran the turntable over to a local shop and they tested it out; nothing wrong with the turntable when they hooked it up. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks again 🙂