Question

AT-LP60XBT : Design Topology to confirm

• 9 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I know this subject has been discussed many times but before to buy a Sonos Port, I’d like to have confirmation of my setup : 

• Playbar : connected with optical cable to my TV
    • 2x Play:1 are used/synced for Surround
  • 2x Other Play:1 in other rooms

In the end, I would like to use my Sonos Speakers System to listen music from my Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT turntable (Mandatory : using of Multi-room).

I understood that the Sonos AMP and Sonos Port can do the job. Sonos AMP if I’m using 3rd parties speakers and Port if not. Is it correct ?

According to you I just need a Sonos Port and connect the RCA cable between my turntable and it. 

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Either the Port or the Amp will work, both have an analog line in that will accept a line level signal from a pre-amp’d turntable. As will a Sonos Five. All analog inputs on Sonos are the same ‘quality’, the Amp and Port use RCA jacks, the Five uses a 3.5mm jack. 

Does that turntable have a built in pre-amp? If not, you’ll need to add that. But once you get the signal into a Sonos analog line in, you’ll be able to play it on any or all of your Sonos speakers. 

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Yes I confirmed there’s a pre-amp. I’ve planned to use the RCA jack to connect it.

“Built-in switchable phono pre-amplifier for phono- or line-level output”

source https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at-lp60xbt

In order to have an installation “future-proof” what would be the “best” choice between AMP or PORT ? (I Imagine AMP is recommended for non pre-amp devices and Port for the rest ?)

Neither is ‘better’ or ‘more future proof’. They were released, and presumably designed, at the same time. The Amp contains an amplifier so you can drive third party speakers with it, which increases the cost of the device. There are minor differences in supported input jacks, for instance the Amp has an HDMI ARC input, whereas the Port does not. There may be other minor differences, you might want to look at the sales descriptions for each on www.Sonos.com.

Thanks Bruce for you answers I’ll appreciate.

I’ll read a little bit more between the differences.