Answered

Are Sonance In-Ceiling speakers airtight?

• 7 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Are the Sonos in ceiling speakers airtight?

I’m  doing a new build and any intrusions in the ceiling including speakers need to be airtight. I have sourced sealed LED down lights no problem but are the Sonos ceiling speakers sealed?

This is to prevent heated air escaping into the roof void.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 February 2021, 16:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos doesn’t make ceiling speakers. They are a reseller of Sonance speakers, so you may be able to find the information you seek on the Sonance website. 

Thanks Bruce,

I've been on the Sonance website and cant find this answer. 

Does anyone else know the answer here?

We’ll have to wait for a community moderator, then. They may have access to that data. Or someone else who has personally installed them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Anthony Raymondo 

I can’t say I’ve come across this information - or question - before.

“Airtight” is not something that can be specified without also expressing some sort of pressure differential, but as we’re just talking about air rising due to heat, this would be minimal.

Looking at the pictures of the Sonance In-Ceiling Speakers I think it’s safe to assume that if the speakers are fitted properly, any drafts would be minimal. You might be able to seal the fitting - a large O-ring or a silicon application may help, but I would test any silicon on an unseen surface first.

If it’s more important to you to ensure no escape of heat than to have In-Ceiling speakers, perhaps Sonance In-Wall Speakers or Sonos stand-alone speakers on wall mounts would be a better fit for you?

I hope this helps as it is all I have - if you wish for more information or assurances, I recommend you contact Sonance directly - Unless anyone in the forum has looked into this?