Question

AMP + Outdoor Subwoofer

• 27 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, I have the new Amp in my yard with a pair of Klipsch rock speakers.  I'd like to add a outdoor subwoofer.  Would you please give me some coaching here...do I just use the  Amp subwoofer output.  Will a subwoofer like the OSD Forza or Sonance Sonarray work?  :thinking:

I just want to make sure that I get the connections right and that the sub will match with the speaker level output.  Thank you in advance for your help!~  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The subwoofer output on the amp is designed for powered subwoofers, and every outdoor subwoofer I’ve seen is passive, requiring connection with speaker cables, same as your rock speaker.  Theoretically, you could connect a sub to the same amp directly, if your speaker pair and the sub are 8 ohm, however, I would get an impediance matching speaker switch to be on the safe side.    If you find that you’re not getting ‘enough’.  You may want to get a separate amp for the subwoofer, like the product below.

https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/amplifiers/subwoofer/500w-mono-channel-class-d-digital-subwoofer-amplifier-smp300.html

I should add that many people that bass frequencies don’t travel well in an outdoor environment and that an outdoor subwoofer is a waste of money.  I can’t back that up from personal experience, but the fact that are relatively few outdoor subs available compared to outdoor speakers on the market, it does seem like it’s not a very popular option.