Answered

Amp or Connect:Amp

If i purchase an Amp or Connect:Amp and have old fashioned speakers wired into them
Then connect my computer via 3.5mm input
Do i play my music through the Sonos App on my PC or through ITunes(where my music is organised)?
icon

Best answer by John B 7 May 2019, 10:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Hi

To play the music files stored in your iTunes there is no need for the 3.5mm cable; your computer just needs to be connected to your network, powered on and awake. (Ethernet is preferably but wireless is also possible. )

As part of the Sonos set up you would tell Sonos to look for files in your iTunes folder. You could then select the music you want to play using any of Sonos' free controller apps, on desktop or mobile device.
Thanks John B,
What if i wanted to use the 3.5mm cable and not the Sonos controller?
Does the controller need to be open to play music through the Amp?
I have the same question for a record player input.
Do i need the Sonos controller installed and does it need to be open?
Hi. It isn't a case of cable or controller. The apps are means to choose what you wish to play and on which speakers. Music files can be played without an audio cable connection. Audio from a turntable does require a line in. Incidentally the line in connection on the Amp and Connect:Amp is an RCA stereo connection,not a 3.5mm jack, just for the record (as it were).

The line in can be set to Autoplay when a signal is detected, so in that senae you don't have to have the controller open. But it's kind of handy.
I suppose if you like the iTunes desktop user interface, and you don't mind the tethering of the computer to the line in jacks on Sonos, you could use the Sonos controller only for the system set up, for which you will need to install it.
Once system set up is done with line in set to autoplay, the controller need not be opened on the computer.
You will need a RCA stereo cable with two jacks for the Sonos end and a 3.5 mm stereo jack at the computer end.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The sound quality will be a lot better if you use the sonos controller (or airplay with the new Sonos Amp) to stream a digital signal to the amp. The new Amp is a direct digital design, and its noise level for the analog input is much higher than for digital input. And if your computer has an ordinary sound card then the quality of the analog signal may not be all that great to begin with.
In the scenario above (using the analog line in RCA plugs and not using the controller for music selection), is it also possible to have the Amp playing a Sonos One as well as the cable speakers it powers?
Additionally, can i do the scenario and add a sub to the Amp?
I thought i had read that the line in changes some of the available functionality
Out of curiosity, why the aversion to using a controller to... er...control the system, as designed?
Fair question John B
Just my preference i suppose.
The truth is i use Itunes and don't really like it but have adjusted to its eccentricities.
I will most likely transition to streaming music slowly over the next ten years.
My hardware and software choices need to be capable of a transition between formats with the least fuss.
Additionally i am not a techy person. Despite being an engineer, at home i am an ardent minimalist

I would like to be able to use the controller more and more but not be forced to
If you have Sonos hardware, I suggest transitioning to the Sonos controller interface from iTunes. Both have their own pros/cons, but the controller opens the door to full use of all Sonos features and is therefore worth the week or so effort to transition. And there will no transition needed to move to streaming music even if you want ten years for that transition.
In the scenario above (using the analog line in RCA plugs and not using the controller for music selection), is it also possible to have the Amp playing a Sonos One as well as the cable speakers it powers?
Additionally, can i do the scenario and add a sub to the Amp?
I thought i had read that the line in changes some of the available functionality

Yes to all of the above. But grouping the Amp and Sonos One will need the controller, and the grouping will not survive a power on/off of either Sonos unit. The Sub can be used with the controller used for just bonding the Sub to the Amp; this will survive a power on/off of either unit.

Yes to all of the above. But grouping the Amp and Sonos One will need the controller, and the grouping will not survive a power on/off of either Sonos unit. The Sub can be used with the controller used for just bonding the Sub to the Amp; this will survive a power on/off of either unit.

Grouping can also be done by holding down the Pause button on the player to be grouped.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Fair question John B
Just my preference i suppose.
The truth is i use Itunes and don't really like it but have adjusted to its eccentricities.
I will most likely transition to streaming music slowly over the next ten years.
My hardware and software choices need to be capable of a transition between formats with the least fuss.
Additionally i am not a techy person. Despite being an engineer, at home i am an ardent minimalist

I would like to be able to use the controller more and more but not be forced to

I don't use iTunes but I am pretty sure you can use AirPlay with iTunes for Windows, and then stream to the new Sonos Amp. Then you can continue to use iTunes the same way you do now but you don't need the cable connection.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/air-play-on-windows-10-6821260

Grouping can also be done by holding down the Pause button on the player to be grouped.

Indeed; I remember discovering this when the feature was released some years ago. Hardly used, hence forgotten.
As to the Airplay suggestion, this would work if the computer was a Mac, not a PC. So I suspect.
As someone that made the switch from iTunes to Sonos control back in 2011, the thing that I remember takes most time getting used to is playlist/queue management since different philosophies are involved. But one starts preferring the Sonos one, once one gets accustomed to it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As to the Airplay suggestion, this would work if the computer was a Mac, not a PC. So I suspect.

Apparently airplay works on iTunes for Windows too. https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/air-play-on-windows-10-6821260
[quote=Kumar]

Indeed; I remember discovering this when the feature was released some years ago. Hardly used, hence forgotten.
As someone that made the switch from iTunes to Sonos control back in 2011, the thing that I remember takes most time getting used to is playlist/queue management since different philosophies are involved. But one starts preferring the Sonos one, once one gets accustomed to it.

It's actually the only hard button feature I use all the time.