Answered

Amp options

• 22 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +5
Anyone have the Onkyo TX-8260? Asking because a friend might have a Connect I can use, and wondering if this receiver is adequate enough to provide a little more juice to existing Sonos speakers.

Edited to add: Sorry if the subject heading is confusing, switched gears with my question after it was created.

Cheers!
icon

Best answer by John B 22 March 2019, 15:59

Sorrry, really don't understand what you mean. The Connect allows you to turn a xonventional amp and speakers into a Sonos music player. There woul3 be no impact on any other Sonos speakers, which are self contained amplified speakers.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. A conventional amp needs passive speakers and has no means to proveide any amplification to Sonos acive speakers. Do you have speakers with that amplifier? Unless I have misunderstood your question.
Badge +5
Hi. A conventional amp needs passive speakers and has no means to proveide any amplification to Sonos acive speakers. Do you have speakers with that amplifier?

I understand that, but wouldn't the Sonos Connect act as the "bridge" to make this possible?
Sorrry, really don't understand what you mean. The Connect allows you to turn a xonventional amp and speakers into a Sonos music player. There woul3 be no impact on any other Sonos speakers, which are self contained amplified speakers.
Badge +5
OK, then perhaps I misunderstood. Was under the impression you could add a Connect to an existing conventional receiver/amp and the Connect would communicate with the existing Sonos speakers. If that were true, it would add the watts per channel of the amp, but it sounds like that's not possible.

Love the stereo paired 3 sound I'm getting but it requires them to be at 60-80% max volume for the warmth and fullness of the sound spectrum to be experienced. Can't imagine the ability to sit in the room at that level of volume long term, at least with the ability to carry on conversation with company.

The 5s were too overpowering for the space. Even though they were of course better sounding, I couldn't justify only listening to them at 20-30% of their max volume level on most occasions.

Love the stereo paired 3 sound I'm getting but it requires them to be at 60-80% max volume for the warmth and fullness of the sound spectrum to be experienced. Can't imagine the ability to sit in the room at that level of volume long term, at least with the ability to carry on conversation with company.

It seems that what you have is perfect for you; Sonos speakers are quite happy playing at the ranges you mention. Note that sound levels needing to be high for the full musical experience to be enjoyed is how all speakers will behave, not just Sonos. Often, that conflicts with conversation so one has to choose what is important at the time; conversation does better with music as background, when it necessarily will not be present enough to convey all its warmth and fullness. It will help here to leave the loudness button ON in the Sonos Eq.

There is a solution though, to an extent, counter intuitive though it may sound - add a Sonos Sub. It does a remarkable job in leaving the music sounding rich at low sound levels. It is expensive, so a trial purchase is a good idea.
Badge +5
Kumar, I understand your point. Ideally, I wouldn't have to choose between the ability to have reasonable conversation without shouting or hearing the speakers as they're intended.

Retuned with Trueplay over the weekend and it seemed to move the pendulum slightly more in the favorable direction. Receiving stands soon and will tune again when installed on those, in hopes it might even be a greater benefit.

All told, quite pleased... just know I tend to congregate in that space often and don't want to always have to speak over the music. But if played at moderate level, would like the sound to reflect more accurately than it currently does.