Answered

Amp making white noise when not playing music

• 4 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have recently upgraded my Connect:Amp to a new Amp. I have it connected to a pair of B&W CM1S2 speakers.
I have noticed that a very low volume white noise is coming from the speakers when there is no music playing on the Amp. The white noise is there at all times, not only just after stopping the music.
I did not have this issue with my Connect:Amp. The speakers where completely silent when no music was playing.
Does anyone else had this problem or should I suspect that the Amp has a defect?
I had no luck with Sonos danish support :slight_frown:

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 6 January 2021, 01:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kristian_p, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic.  Upon checking the report, no issues found with your Sonos Amp. The diagnostic detected audio dropout, audio playback failure, dropped room, and not enough bandwidth. These are network-related issues that may cause some audio issues like stops and skips or unable to browse music.

You mentioned that you didn’t experience this with your Connect Amp. The steps that we recommended is to check the physical connection of your speakers to your Sonos Amp if the white noise will be resolved. At this point, it would be best to contact our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Thank you for your feedback.

I might not have been precise enough in my descriprion of my problem. However, I’ve tried what you suggested with no help. I will try to explain again.

I have no problems what so ever with playing audio on my Sonos Amp. The problem is when the Sonos Amp is not in use. I would expect my speakers to be totally silent and that the Sonos Amp would “turn off” the signal to the speaker connections on the Amp. However, both speakers produce a faint hiss/white noise, suggesting that the Sonos Amp still produces some sort of signal to the speaker connections.

I did not experience that with my old Connect:Amp. So I’m curiuos if my Amp has some sort of defect or if the behaviour is as expected. 

I have submitted a diagnostic with confirmation number 1742970035. The diagnostic is submitted when my Sonos Amp was not in use.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kristian_p

Welcome to the Sonos Community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern.

To help you out with this, let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue and see if it works for you.

1. Power off your Sonos Amp.
  2. Disconnect the left and right speakers and other connections.
  3. Wait for at least 30 minutes before you power on your Sonos Amp.
  4. Test left and right channels on the Sonos Amp
  5. Reconnect the left speaker and test the audio.
  6. Disconnect the left speaker, reconnect the right speaker, and test audio.

If you're still hearing white noise, you can do a factory reset of your Sonos Amp, this process will delete registration information, Re-add your Amp back to your system by following the steps on the Sonos app. Once added, start playback to test the audio.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this, do not hesitate to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.