Answered

Amp Input Question.

• 17 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello, all. I’m experimenting. When a source is connected to the Amp’s input, it does not have to go through the Amp’s DAC, correct? I am trying to play some files that Sonos does not support (FLAC files higher than 24/48K) through the Amp’s input. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 17 September 2020, 11:31

I understand, but the music isn’t being streamed. It is playing through a pair or speakers that are hard-wired to the Amp. That’s why I was under the impression that the signal wouldn’t pass through a DAC or be converted. Is there a diagram available that would show the signal path of an analog input?

I cannot imagine what such a diagram would show.  You have to think in terms of the system design here.  A line in is just another source for the entire Sonos system.  If your entire Sonos system is one Amp that doesn’t change, and it is equally irrelevant whether it’s an Amp + speakers, or a Five or whatever.

Sonos is designed with digital amplifiers and works with digital information.  All sources arrive in the system in digital form…. except for the analog line-in.  So the first thing Sonos does is convert it to a form it can handle.  It then proceeds as with any other source.  It is not just passing through analog audio - it has no means of doing that.

View original

4 replies

Hi. Yes it does go through the Amp's DAC - or another Sonos speaker's DAC if that is the speaker on which the music is playing.  

The line-in is analog and Sonos cannot do anything with analog. There is a lossless conversion to digital so that Sonos can treat the stream like every other source it plays.

If you feed Sonos a line level analog signal it should play whatever the original digital format. But it will play on Sonos' terms. 

I understand, but the music isn’t being streamed. It is playing through a pair or speakers that are hard-wired to the Amp. That’s why I was under the impression that the signal wouldn’t pass through a DAC or be converted. Is there a diagram available that would show the signal path of an analog input?

I cannot imagine what such a diagram would show.  You have to think in terms of the system design here.  A line in is just another source for the entire Sonos system.  If your entire Sonos system is one Amp that doesn’t change, and it is equally irrelevant whether it’s an Amp + speakers, or a Five or whatever.

Sonos is designed with digital amplifiers and works with digital information.  All sources arrive in the system in digital form…. except for the analog line-in.  So the first thing Sonos does is convert it to a form it can handle.  It then proceeds as with any other source.  It is not just passing through analog audio - it has no means of doing that.

Ok, thanks again.