Answered

Amp compatible with speakers?

• 6 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I already did some research on matching amplifiers and speakers, but there’s a lot of contradicting information on the internet. I hope I can get a more conclusive answer here.

I’m looking to buy a Sonos Amp, but I’m not sure if it will be compatible with my speakers. They are very old, from the 70s, KEF Concertos.

I know the Amp has 125W/channel at 8 ohms. This is the information I found concerning my speakers:

• Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
  • Rated max power: 50 watts programme
  • Sensitivity: 9.5w into nominal 8 ohms produces 96db at one metre in anechoic conditions
  • Amplifier requirements: 15-50 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Am I right if I say that the Amp is actually too powerful for my speakers, but it will work and won’t do harm as long as I don’t go past a certain volume percentage? Can I use the Sonos app to limit the volume to let’s say 40% to be sure?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 February 2021, 12:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Amp should be fine, so long as you don’t overload the speakers. An underpowered amplifier however can do damage owing to the distortion this can cause.

There is a volume limit feature in the Sonos app in case you feel nervous.

Am I right if I say that the Amp is actually too powerful for my speakers, but it will work and won’t do harm as long as I don’t go past a certain volume percentage? Can I use the Sonos app to limit the volume to let’s say 40% to be sure?

Yes to both, except that 40% may be too low; play around with the limiter so that at your normal listening levels the volume control slider is at about 60-70% of full, and you should be fine - assuming that the speakers are in use and are today able to deliver your normal listening levels.

Thanks a lot for your answers and help!