Question

Amp?

• 16 October 2016
  • 9 replies

Stupid question but anyone know what the difference between the connect and connect amp ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hi. The Connect:Amp is essentially a Connect with a built in amplifier. So if you have an amplifier plus passive speakers (or just powered speakers), you need a Connect. You would use a Connect:Amp with passive speakers.
The Connect:Amp contains an amplifier, the Connect does not. So the Connect:Amp can be connected to passive speakers, whereas the Connect is used with existing audio amplifiers, receivers or powered speakers.
Ok I'm looking to get a vinylplay and the only speakers I have are all sonos ones, so I would only need the connect, is that right?
Correct, although if you have the gen2 play:5 you can plug the vinylplay straight into that.
You would only need the Connect, but if you are buying one, for a little more you could get all it does + an amplified speaker of high quality - the play 5.
Well I have my speakers all over the house and want to have the vinylplay in a room without a play5 in so the connect is the best option. Thanks for all the comments guys
Well I have my speakers all over the house and want to have the vinylplay in a room without a play5 in so the connect is the best option. Thanks for all the comments guys
Once you use the line-in, the source is available to every speaker. I realise you are probably saying that the physical location would not be convenient for you, but the Connect is a lot of money to pay just for a line-in. Your choice, of course.
I know what you're saying and as much as I'd like another play5 they are equally expensive, the room I want the vinylplay already has the soundbar, a sub and 2 ones, if money were no object I'd buy 2 of the new 5's but that's for another day maybe
If you have a PLAYBAR there could be another way of doing this. Feed the turntable though an ADC (analog-digital converter) and you'd have an optical signal which the PLAYBAR could accept. You'd want to get an optical switch as well, to flip between the TV and the turntable. An ADC and a TOSLINK switch are both inexpensive.

The fly in the ointment, however, is that the PLAYBAR's optical input won't play in sync with other, grouped Sonos speakers. These would be slightly delayed with respect to the sound from the PLAYBAR setup. Also, to play the turntable to another room you'd have to group it with the PLAYBAR and mute the latter. Clearly this would upset someone wanting to watch TV. All this may be something you can live with.