Question

Amazon Echo dot help

• 21 October 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 13 replies
When I am in the amazon Alexa app and it is searching for wifi and Bluetooth devices the sonos play1 speaker doesn't show up. The play1 uses Bluetooth I thought or does do both wifi and Bluetooth?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

WiFi only, no BT.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos will be officially supported through Alexa/Echo at some point in the future... but at this time, there are other workarounds needed to control Sonos with Alexa. I believe Yonomi is one solution I've seen recommended, though having just received my Echo Dot yesterday, I haven't really played around with it much. I'm not sure if Lutron/Insteon with Alexa can extend to Sonos or not.
You can connect the echo dot to the zp100/zp120 or connect/ connect amp and the new version play 5 which all support line in.
I have the dot connected to a connect amp and it plays fine using the echo dot.
Can only use amazon music or Spotify at present.
Badge
I've got a Sonos Play:1 and Play:3, so have exactly the same issue as Truth - so I'm not sure if it is a matter of wait and see as I came across the following;

http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/31/amazon-alexa-sonos-guide/ which says;

"Can I use the speakers I already own?
Yes! According to a Sonos spokesperson [emphasis ours]:
Voice control for Sonos will be available as a free software update that will work with existing Sonos products and Alexa-enabled devices."
I've got a Sonos Play:1 and Play:3, so have exactly the same issue as Truth - so I'm not sure if it is a matter of wait and see
It is. The picture is unchanged from MikeV's post 5 days ago.