Question

Amazon Echo?

• 7 November 2016
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Dear Sonos,

I am coming to a fork in my home automation/music evolution in my home. My question is, when will sonos be controllable via amazon echo? I am voice automating everything and I feel I may need to start going away from sonos and towards other technologies that are compatible with echo.

What is the plan for sonos? when will i able able to control my sonos with my echos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Brentologist,

A quick search of this forum will yield the information you seek. You may also want to look at the press release area for Sonos, where there would be a statement from the CEO of Sonos regarding this.
All information you seek was stated in Sonos' press release. However, your post begs a question: Exactly what "other technologies that are compatible with echo"
are you considering in regards to Echo controlled audio? So far, the first multi-room streamer to officially announce that Echo support is being developed and coming soon is Sonos. The only other is Denon, and they are months behind the Sonos announcement.
Also, for those who do not wish to do the search, Echo/Alexa support for Sonos will be in private beta later this year, with public beta and/or general release slated for early 2017.
The other thing to be aware of is that functionality will be available in phases and early 2017 may see only some features available in Sonos. I doubt that anyone knows just what these will be.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I don't have a lot of time to look for all of this. I will wait for sonos. I was going to move away from a multi room system and standardize on an alexa in each room plugged into a powered speaker pair... and use alexa to launche spotify and pandora. Looks like I will be waiting. thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you have a Play 5 you can connect Alexa dot as line in and then you have the full Alexa Spotify (or Amazon) command set.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Bockers, I actually did this with my play 5 and I also have some of the original series equipment i cold do it with. The problem is that it the connection sort of forgets itself and has to be reset. It will not stay permanently connected to the sonos via 3.5mm and has to be logically reconnected. Also tried it on my original gen amplified unit, same thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It should never forget that you have echo attached to Play:5. Also a good hint someone gave is set the dot connected to Play:5 to play wake sound when you say Alexa - that way the Play:5 gets signal from the wake sound and you hear everything alexa says.
Brentologist: what do you mean that it won't stay permanently connected? If you enable AutoPlay on your Sonos Play:5, it might fix your problem. It works well on mine.

You might find this info helpful if you haven't already seen it: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158/~/amazon-alexa-and-sonos
Userlevel 2
It would be nice to know how far is Sonos from releasing this feature so that commands can be taken from Alexa. I have multiple echo dot units in my house and there is no good way to play music through them now. The one in kitchen is hooked up to the whole house audio distribution system. But if I ask the one in the Cinema to play music, it will start playing on that unit through the built in speakers of the dot.

This upcoming feature will be highly useful! I can't wait! when when when????? Thanks for making this happen though.
It would be nice to know how far is Sonos from releasing this feature so that commands can be taken from Alexa. I have multiple echo dot units in my house and there is no good way to play music through them now. The one in kitchen is hooked up to the whole house audio distribution system. But if I ask the one in the Cinema to play music, it will start playing on that unit through the built in speakers of the dot.

This upcoming feature will be highly useful! I can't wait! when when when????? Thanks for making this happen though.

Sonos never gives specific timelines, because their timelines are dependent on testing goals met, not dates. They have stated their Alexa/Sonos implementation will be released this year, which is as detailed an answer as you are going to get.
Userlevel 2

Sonos never gives specific timelines, because their timelines are dependent on testing goals met, not dates. They have stated their Alexa/Sonos implementation will be released this year, which is as detailed an answer as you are going to get.

Thanks, it is understandable. Better that way, so it actually gets properly tested. For me this will be a huge update.