Answered

Airplay 2 volume control and grouping with older devices

• 16 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Sorry if this has been answered already.
I am trying to clarify how airplay 2 volume control works with grouped sonos devices. More specifically:

I am thinking of re acquiring a sonos connect after selling mine a while back. I understand that if I group the connect with an airplay 2 enabled Sonos One, I can then use my iphone to airplay music directly to this group.

My question is: If I want to control this grouping outside the sonos app, will I be able to use my iphone (through apple music) to control volume separately for the sonos connect and sonos one? or will the particular grouping (Sonos connect + Sonos One) show up as a single volume slider hence not allowing for separate volume control for each device?

Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Traveller 16 October 2018, 11:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes you will. With airplay each element, the connect and the Sonos 1 will show up with separate vol controls on the airplay card. It works brilliantly. You can also set the volume control to zero for the S1 if you wish to group to use airplay on the connect, but with no sound coming from the S1.
Your hypothetical scenario is, incidentally, exactly my configuration, with iPhone and Apple Music.
Fantastic 🙂 many thanks for the feedback 🙂