Question

Advice on an upgrade - turntable and surround

• 27 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help please?

I have a 16 x 13 living room currently with a 50inch tv and beam. I would like to add an upgrade to kill 2 birds with one stone. Want to get a 5.x surround and occasionally use the turntable with Sonos. I know I have a couple options.

1. Getting a couple of Ones and add Connect or Port (a bit expensive)
  2. Getting a couple of 5s and plug in turntable directly to one of the 5s.  Are the 5s a bit of an overkill for the size of the room? I know that line in is disabled when 5s in surround group? I’d be using turntable only occasionally so does it take long to undo surround and have 5s play as a stereo for turntable?

Is there any other alternative option for me? Which option would you choose or maybe have a similar set up?

Thank you for your help,

Jakub

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jakubt.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for recommendations/suggestions. Let me lend a little hand on this.

1. Getting a couple of Ones and add Connect or Port (a bit expensive) To cut a little cost,, why not consider Sonos One SLs and add a SOnos Port? You already have a Sonos Beam, adding a couple of Sonos One as surrounds would make no difference with adding a couple of Sonos One Sl the Mic on the Sonos One (when added as surroudns would be disabled anyways.

1. Getting a couple of 5s and plug in turntable directly to one of the 5s.  Are the 5s a bit of an overkill for the size of the room? I know that line in is disabled when 5s in surround group? I’d be using turntable only occasionally so does it take long to undo surround and have 5s play as a stereo for turntable? Based on other members of thge community’s feedback, Play 5 as surrounds would be a little overkill especially that it has a trumendous amound of power for audio Vs playing surround sounds. You can use the remove surrounds and add surrounds feature on the Sonos App if you are going to use a surround added speaker to play your turntable.

We can always reach out to other members of the community for their recommendations and feedback on this type of setup/situation. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,