Answered

Adding Sonos to existing stereo system, including phono

• 25 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello All,

I’m considering adding a Sonos to my existing system to add more sound to a back bedroom.  The existing system has newer Denon receiver, two floor speakers + center channel, Audio Technica PL-120 with preamp. Plus numerous other things connected to the receiver like TV, PS3, cable box, etc.  Definitely an old school traditional setup for the most part.

So the super basic question is...what do I need to add to get that single Sonos speaker going?  Port?  Connect 5?  I don’t want to bypass my current setup and have the record player go directly to the Sonos.  I might consider for the future going all Sonos and losing the current speakers but that would still entail using the receiver, right?  

I’m definitely lost with all this and unable to connect the dots by just reading others posts.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Todd

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 December 2019, 19:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Port would probably be the best device, to get any output from your current amp into the Sonos ecosystem. Note, however, due to the nature of the a Sonos, any input from your amp to your Sonos will have a delay, so that the Sonos speakers will be slightly behind your amp’s speakers. However, if the source is the Sonos, and you’re playing to the amp, all the speakers will be in sync.

Thanks for the reply!  Is the delay noticeable or bad?  What if I only had Sonos speakers and no hard wired traditional speakers?  Would that eliminate the delay?

Yes, and yes.