Question

adding airport express with airplay 2 to older Sonos system

• 25 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi

i have invested heavily in Sonos and have 2 x Connect Amps, 4 connects and 2 x Sonos 1’s as a stereo pair. 

I want to add AirPlay to my setup so am thinking that if I add an Apple Airport Express, which now supports AirPlay 2, I should be able to stream content from my iPhone to my Sonos from apps such as BBC Sounds? 

Will this work or have I got this wrong?

Thanks

James

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You haven’t detailed how any of this is connected, and there aren’t Sonos 1’s, just Sonos Ones or PLAY:1’s, so it’s hard to confirm one way or the other. 

I can think of two ways this ‘might’ work. If this Apple Airport Express device has a stereo audio output that you have connected to a Sonos line in, then all of the AirPlay 2 stuff is happening before the signal gets in to the Sonos ecosystem. Consequently, Sonos doesn’t care how the signal gets to the line in. 

Alternately, you might have Sonos Ones, which are capable of receiving an AirPlay 2 signal. In which case you could group any other Sonos “room” with the “room” that is the pair of Sonos Ones, and play the AiPlay 2 signal anywhere in your system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or (if you have the know-how) just run AirConnect somewhere. Instant AirPlay (v1) support for all of your Sonos devices.

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect