5 in-ceiling with Sonos Amp

• 12 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

I have got 5 speaker rough ins done in my new home for surround sound. 3 in the back and 2 in the front. I want to use Sonos AMP with those speakers but I am not sure how I can connect them the right way. I was told that Sonos amp can connect only 2 left and 2 right speakers. not sure how to handle the central speaker in the back

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

I believe the builder did it backwards. I have never seen or heard of a three-speaker rear surround setup.

Yes, you can connect a Sonos Port to an AV receiver and stream music from the Port through your 5.1 setup.

Thank you for the information. Actually they way the builder did speaker rough ins is that we have 3 speakers in the back and 2 in the front. Does that mean they messed things up and did the wrong setup?

in terms of connecting the five speakers I am thinking of using AV receiver with the subwoofer then have 5.1 system and then use Sonos port to have that music streaming capability 

Userlevel 7

Usually in your speaker setup, the three speakers are used as the front (with the middle speaker acting as the center channel) and the two speakers are used as the back as surround speakers.

With the Sonos Amps, you will only be able to use four of the five speakers. You would use two Amps - one to power the two front channel speakers and one to power the two rear surround speakers. The center speaker (of the group of three) would remain unused. You can add a Sonos Sub to complete the 4.1 setup.

Another Sonos option is only using two of the in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds powered by a Sonos Amp and using a Sonos sound bar like an Arc or Beam for the front channels instead of the in-ceiling speakers.

If you want to use all five speakers, you need to use a standard 5.1 AV receiver rather than a Sonos solution.