Question

3rd Party Sub + Amp

• 7 February 2020
  • 9 replies

I've recently traded up my old, perfectly working Amp for a new version (Thanks for forcing this Sonos ^^). Has there been a change in 3rd party sub requirements? I get absolutely nothing from the sub (with speaker terminals either in or out). Tried the calibration - absolutely nothing. Also recently got a playbar, and had the dreaded optical lipsync issue, which I had to resolve using a crappy 20 quid optical splitter from Amazon. That's about 1200 quid of kit that doesn't work out the box. Pretty poor show it has to be said. Anyway, if anyone can advise on the sub issue that would be great, thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

@Nobbypingpong 

Thanks for reaching to the community.

I would like to ask if you are using your Amp as surrounds to your Playbar. If so, the subwoofer output is disabled in that setup. In the event that you are using the Amp as a separate room then the subwoofer should be able to work. May I ask if the subwoofer that you have is powered or passive? Sonos requires that a powered subwoofer to be connected to the Amp.

It's a powered sub, with 2 bookshelf speakers in a separate room. I managed to get enough out of it in the end by turning the sub level to +12 in the Amp config, and the sub volume to a little over 50% on the sub itself - it's still a bit muffled, but better than it was. Straight after swapping the amp out, I didn't get anything at all...no idea why it suddenly decided to start working (kind of).. Used to work fine on the old amp, so guess there's a difference somewhere and it just doesn't like the sub very much :)

@Nobbypingpong 

Since you are getting a muffled sound from the subwoofer when you increased the sub level, I would like to ask for the model number of your subwoofer and if you can play a song with some bass. Reply back with how the subwoofer sounds and the confirmation number of the diagnostic report.

Same issue here - weak signal from the Sonos Amp’s subwoofer output makes it basically useless. Have a look around here and you’ll find lots of threads and discussions about this. I have to set the Sonos Amp to +15 and turn the sub’s amp all the way up to get audible sound from the sub. I find it infuriating that Sonos won’t at least acknowledge the issue. It’s also disappointing the product has such an obvious flaw when all the other Sonos stuff I’ve had has been quite good. I really wish I had come across these discussions before I purchased the Amp so I could have avoided it.

Badge +1

I’m using the Amp with a B&W PV1D and two B&W M-1 satelittes, and I’m having the same issue. Sub out is turned up to +12 to get any usable response.

Lots of other users are having the same issue. 

I would suggest you do a direct support-case with Sonos. I did the same, and it has been escalated to the senior technical team. 

Still no resolution, though. 

Other than that, the Amp is a great product. 

Same here.  Running a HSU VTF3-MK5 and not much happens. Connect to my Marantz receiver and it works incredible. 

Badge +1

FYI

The sub output level bug on the Amp seems solved with the latest FW 11.1 … thnx Sonos :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I had to turn my level in the app from +14 down to +2

Yeah, I can also confirm that the latest update (version 11.1) seems to have solved the sub output level problem. Not sure why this went unacknowledged so long, nor do I understand why the fix went out so quietly. Regardless, the Amp now seems to be functioning up to the high standards of the other Sonos devices. A big thank you to whomever was able to identify and resolve the software issue!

I was this close to selling the Amp before the latest update came out.  To say the difference is night and day is putting it mildly.  No idea why this took so long to fix, but luckily it has.  These forums may actually be helpful in getting word back to the tech group.