Question

2nd router

• 10 November 2016
  • 9 replies

There is a room in my house that does not get wifi but has a hard wire, I have have added a 2nd wireless router to sort this issue, however this means I can't access my sonos services, is there a way I can adjust the router or sonos settings to have access to sonos from that wifi.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point
If you mean hard wired into the main router, then yes, you are correct. However, there is the matter of control from a phone or tablet connected to the wifi generated from the 2nd router. That's where the complication comes in. Both the controller and your sonos products need to be on the same subnet. Standard setup of these routers is to create their own subnet.
There is a room in my house that does not get wifi but has a hard wire, I have have added a 2nd wireless router to sort this issue, however this means I can't access my sonos services, is there a way I can adjust the router or sonos settings to have access to sonos from that wifi.

Why not just plug in the speaker to the hard wire, it is still on the same network.
Ratty this has enable WDS bridging in the networks tab
Don't touch the main router. You need to configure the secondary router as an access point.

If the TP-Link unit has a 'bridge' or 'access point' mode select that.
Thanks ratty think it can, my main hub/router is superhub2 and the other one is a tp link wireless router, do I have to change settings on both.
It should just mean turning off the dhcp service in the second router.
A bit more than that. The static internal IP needs to be assigned into the first router's subnet, but outside its DHCP pool range. And the second router must be connected via a LAN port, with the WAN port left vacant.
It should just mean turning off the dhcp service in the second router, that's all I did with mine, works fine.
A second router -- acting as a router -- breaks your network in two. Some have an explicit 'bridge mode' or 'access point mode' option in their settings. Investigate and report back. If it lacks such a mode the configuration procedure takes a little bit more work.