Question

1 Amp with Multi Room Speakers

• 28 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I had a Yamaha receiver and a Connect hooked up to a set of 12 ceiling speakers (6 pair upstairs and downstairs). Unfortunately, they were all wired into 1 total set so I have 4 wires total that can only run the whole system at once (but I have individual volume controls in each room). I want to get rid of this and upgrade to S2 with 1 Amp-still would all just run the whole system. Will the Amp be able to handle that? Also, they were unplugged when they did the install so I don’t know what is L/R & Red/Black or how they are configured, I just know I have 4 wires total. Can I just experiment without destroying the Amp. No way for me to figure which is which, not even sure how it’s all wired.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I absolutely would not plug these 4 wires directly into a Sonos amp.  It’s possible that the volume control switches in the wall handling the impedance properly, but I wouldn’t just assume that it does. The fact that your previous receiver worked with this setup implies that it would.  Sonos would certainly not recommend this setup though.

If you can rewire this setup, I would.  If not, I would look at getting an impedance matching speaker  switch.   You also might want to to get some testing tools that can help with identify which lines go where and the impedance load on each wire.

As a separate point, if these are good quality speakers, I think it would be better to get an amp with more speaker outputs and more overall wattage than the Sonos Amp, paired with a port for control.