Question

With "Legacy issue" - I will not continue buying from this company and will move to another product

• 23 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Went all in, all over the house. over 3k. Never in a million year did I think it could go south within 4 years. Disappointed and and moving on from SONOS, on principle alone. Also consider  all the plastic waste you’re creating by needlessly “obsoleting” your own products . Companies like this pollute the world and ethical standards for reliability.

Thanks for a product that sort-of-worked and now purposely will not work at all.

7 replies

Went all in, all over the house. over 3k. Never in a million year did I think it could go south within 4 years. Disappointed and and moving on from SONOS, on principle alone. Also consider  all the plastic waste you’re creating by needlessly “obsoleting” your own products . Companies like this pollute the world and ethical standards for reliability.

Thanks for a product that sort-of-worked and now purposely will not work at all.

In what sense will it not work at all please?

Userlevel 1

With subsequent updates I can’t imagine they will connect with my subs that are more up to date, in the long run.  But, I imagine they will might technically work in some sense. Maybe by plugging into auxiliary(which also requires software to select)? But it seems doubtful they will continue connecting to one another or Spotify, etc. without any kind of software maintenance. 

With subsequent updates I can’t imagine they will connect with my subs that are more up to date, in the long run.  

Not so, your Sub units will stay at the legacy software level just like the other units.

But, I imagine they will might technically work in some sense. Maybe by plugging into auxiliary(which also requires software to select)? But it seems doubtful they will continue connecting to one another or Spotify, etc. without any kind of software maintenance. 

Yes, if Spotify makes a change, and there is no subsequent change in the legacy software, you may lose Spotify.  Sonos has hinted they will have small updates for bugs and security, I imagine this would include service changes if they can fit it into the 32 MB limitation.  More will be learned in May.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

With subsequent updates I can’t imagine they will connect with my subs that are more up to date, in the long run.  But, I imagine they will might technically work in some sense. Maybe by plugging into auxiliary(which also requires software to select)? But it seems doubtful they will continue connecting to one another or Spotify, etc. without any kind of software maintenance. 

I think you are right to be skeptical. Contrary to the other posters we don't actually know what this legacy thing is going to look like because every statement has been hedged with more information will be released in May.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for all of your help! The subs were not listed as legacy in my email from Sonos, but i guess those are on the list as well. Personally I’m not willing to deal with wondering if stereo speakers will stop connecting to some services eventually. And a 30% discount for updated speakers won’t keep me in the game. I’ll go with hard wired speakers into my amp and blame myself for not seeing this coming. thanks for all the replies!

Thanks for all of your help! The subs were not listed as legacy in my email from Sonos, but i guess those are on the list as well. Personally I’m not willing to deal with wondering if stereo speakers will stop connecting to some services eventually. And a 30% discount for updated speakers won’t keep me in the game. I’ll go with hard wired speakers into my amp and blame myself for not seeing this coming. thanks for all the replies!

Subs are most certainly not on the list. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It’s your money, do what you want, but it might be wise to wait a little while before doing anything.  It’s been 48 hours or so and nothing is going to happen till May.

Although I do think if you don’t want deal with the possibility of a smart speaker losing support, which will happen to all smart speakers eventually, then going with a more analog approach of analog amp and passive speakers is the right choice