Will not be purchasing Sonos again.

• 27 January 2020
  • 2 replies

The first time I heard a Sonos Play one was 4 years ago.  I was amazed by the quality of such a small speaker.  I went online as soon as I got home and purchased the starter set of the two play 1’s.  I was thrilled, despite the price tag.  At the time, we didn’t have a lot of extra money, but both my husband and I felt that this would be a quality system that would last us a long time.  We really loved the fact that with bluetooth, we didn’t have to have wires going to every room in the house to speakers, nor did we have to spend money on running speaker wire through the ceiling, under floors, etc.  It worked.  It worked well.  And within a couple of months, we purchased a play 5.  It was followed within the year with the Playbar and the Sub, and another couple of speakers that we put in every room our our home.  

Now, with work going well and having more money to spend, we were thrilled to hear about the exterior speakers that sonos was making.  We have just moved to Florida and we have a lanai that we LOVE sitting under and we were thinking of installing the outdoor speakers, knowing that the cost was going to be a good chunk of change.  BUT we love(d) sonos.  The quality was amazing. 

And now, we find out about the updates ceasing.  Now, I know it’s not a full on no more updates, but between the bricking sonos’ in recycle mode and not being able to pull them out of recycle mode and then the fact that I’d have to create a second network?  Oh, and not to mention all of the issues between Sonos and our smart home not properly working (we can’t get Alexa to do anything quite right on the last Play:1 speaker that we purchase a year ago)… it has been a decision long in coming, but we made it: No more Sonos for us.  We will continue to use our system as is until it is no longer supported (which I’m fairly sure won’t be too long), but we will not be purchasing any more Sonos products.  

I feel as if the company has gone from putting out a wonderful product to being what I can only describe as being caught up in their greed.  I should not have to spend thousands of dollars on a home theater system to have it not be able to work only a few years later.  Nor should I have to pay for updates for a product.  I use my sonos speakers daily.  I love them. I love the quality of sound from them.  I will not, however, continue to support a company that treats its end consumers so poorly.  

2 replies

Just to note:

1. None of the devices you mention are legacy devices.
  2. If you did have legacy devices, there is no necessity to create two networks, though it is one of the options.

Now, with work going well and having more money to spend, we were thrilled to hear about the exterior speakers that sonos was making.  We have just moved to Florida and we have a lanai that we LOVE sitting under and we were thinking of installing the outdoor speakers, knowing that the cost was going to be a good chunk of change.  BUT we love(d) sonos.  The quality was amazing. 

Sonos doesn’t make any outdoor speakers.  I think you are refering to the Sonance speakers that pair well with the Sonos Amp.  Those Sonance speakesr are passive, meaning that they have no Sonos ‘smarts’ and never require any support….so they won’t be de-supported ever.  If you got a Sonos Amp with them, they are several time more powerful than the legacy products that aren’t going to be receiving regular updates anymore.

We will continue to use our system as is until it is no longer supported (which I’m fairly sure won’t be too long), but we will not be purchasing any more Sonos products.  

If you’re referring to Play:1s those stop being sold by Sonos in early Fall last year.  Sonos has promised at least 5 years of support since then end of a product being sold by Sonos.  They also have twice as much memory as the legacy speakers.  I’m not sure what you meant by ‘too long’ but I think your play:1s have a lot of life ahead of them.

I feel as if the company has gone from putting out a wonderful product to being what I can only describe as being caught up in their greed.

There are technical limitations of the legacy products.  If you chose to believe that or deny that is up to you.

I should not have to spend thousands of dollars on a home theater system to have it not be able to work only a few years later. 

None of the main home theater products (playbar, playbase, beam, Sonos Amp) are legacy.  The play:5 gen 1 and the connect:amp could be used for rear surrounds.

Nor should I have to pay for updates for a product.

Sonos has never charged for an update to a product.  Are you talking about replacing a product with it’s more modern and capable equivalent?

I use my sonos speakers daily.  I love them. I love the quality of sound from them.  I will not, however, continue to support a company that treats its end consumers so poorly.