Why not make everyone happy in this TWO SONOS World and ensure your existing customers stay loyal

Userlevel 1

I am a very long time SONOS customer with four distinct systems in four locations with over 30 devices.  Almost all of these devices with become legacy in a month.  Any new purchased SONOS products will cause incompatibility issues.

SONOS I know you are looking to the future but I hate to see you lose me as a customer because now any other player out there puts me in the same position you are.  Two apps, two environments!

How about this for a solution to keep me and a ton of other SONOS users happy.  Build a “New SONOS Bridge;  A device that sits in the middle of a “SHARED” system and performs two simple tasks:

1. Be a device that can be grouped from both the OLD and NEW environments
  2. Passes music between the two systems

If this would require this BRIDGE device to be wired to the network that is okay with me or that this device runs like the MOVE off the WiFi that would be fine with men.

Technically this seems like it should be pretty easy to do.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for a box to BRIDGE an environment to allow be to continue to buy SONOS products in the future.  

If SONOS goes down the path it is going now, why wouldn’t I look at ALL wireless speaker options?  I have to run two distinct apps either way.

Food for thought SONOS!  Seems like a simple solution to retain and keep your installed customer base happy and almost ensure you installed customer base becomes your future customer base.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Hi. If it was easy to do, do you not think Sonos would have done it? Please see this thread for an exhaustive (and exhausting) discussion of this issue. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969

Userlevel 1

Actually, no.  I don’t think that SONOS would have done it.  I think they may have looked at easy solutions, but easy is not necessarily the best solution.

I think they didn’t and don’t get it.  They think that their current option will appease the masses that will live in a legacy world for the foreseeable future. But what they don’t understand is that the environment they are building has no incentive for the current SONOS owner to stay SONOS.  The available options have changed over the years and now with their current solution, existing SONOS customers will have to use two disconnected apps to use their two systems whether is is two SONOS apps or the SONOS S1 app and another vendor speaker and app.

I ran a worldwide three data center environment for a Fortune 100 company for many years and I was always amazed that a good portion of the technical gurus that were out there could not think outside the box when it came to developing a very specific technical solution.  In this case I don’t think SONOS spent much time on a potential hardware/software solution.  

Here is why I think that.  A while ago SONOS owners lost the ability to control the SONOS environment from an Apple Watch.  SONOS took the capability away saying that it was because Apple changed something.  Funny.  An individual in Scandinavia (using standard Apple and SONOS developer interfaces) created the Lyd app that blows away the competition in controlling all of my 4 system, 35 device SONOS world…, elegantly.  I can control any device on any system.  And SONOS said they couldn’t do it.  I rest my case!  SONOS does care and they will losing their dedicated followers to future purchases. 

I have been in contract with the Lyd app developer and just like he allows me to switch between SONOS system on my Apple Watch I am sure I will be able to switch between legacy and future SONOS systems from a single interface,  And guess what.  SONOS is providing me to disparate apps to do the same thing.  I don’t think they get it.

Anyone making definitive statements about what is or is not “possible” without intimate knowledge of the hardware and codebase is a fool.  

And ”think outside the box” is a mantra my IT manager uses.  He’s a fool too.

Userlevel 1

Your opinion.  Thanks for the feedback. 

SONOS said they couldn’t support the Apple Watch either. One person did it for them with the Lyd app. And elegantly.

What is possible is only limited by saying it isn’t possible.

Thanks again for your opinion.

This has been debated to dearh. Not worth going over the same arguments for the hundredth time. 

Userlevel 1

Maybe it has been debated, but has anyone TRIED anything.  I just did.

I just in a matter of minutes played music across multiple SONOS systems in two different fashions.

One via bluetooth via two bluetooth adapters that cost me $50 a piece that I use to transmit/receive between headphone jacks.  Out a gen 1 Play 5 transmitting out a headphone jack to a line in on a receiver on any line in on a SONOS device on a different system.  Worked perfectly.   

I have for a long time used an RF transmit/receiver to  connect my Outcast speaker to the SONOS environment.  Just used it to connect two separate SONOS environments together.

Two solutions I just did in less than 30 minutes since I got this negative feedback that bridged, ie. GROUPED to separate SONOS systems is’t possible.  Now if I can do this in 30 minutes.  I would think SONOS could package this into one box and sell it as a solution to bridge the new and the old.

I rest my case. 

Please see this thread

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969

Userlevel 1

i had already read that.  Nothing new there.

Guess I can GROUP my Old and the New products even if SONOS can’t.

I just in a matter of minutes played music across multiple SONOS systems in two different fashions.

One via bluetooth via two bluetooth adapters that cost me $50 a piece that I use to transmit/receive between headphone jacks.  Out a gen 1 Play 5 transmitting out a headphone jack to a line in on a receiver on any line in on a SONOS device on a different system.  Worked perfectly.   

I have for a long time used an RF transmit/receiver to  connect my Outcast speaker to the SONOS environment.  Just used it to connect two separate SONOS environments together.

Two solutions I just did in less than 30 minutes since I got this negative feedback that bridged, ie. GROUPED to separate SONOS systems is’t possible.  Now if I can do this in 30 minutes.  I would think SONOS could package this into one box and sell it as a solution to bridge the new and the old.

I rest my case. 

And in your 30 minute experiment, was one Sonos system playing a high resolution audio stream, whilst the other played the same stream 'transrated' on the fly to a lower bitrate (standard) resolution?

Only you may just need to compare 'Apples to Apples' in your tests and not 'Apples to Pears’ before you have me convinced here.

i had already read that.  Nothing new there.

Guess I can GROUP my Old and the New products even if SONOS can’t.

As Sonos S2 hasn't been launched yet, you could  not possibly have produced a more irrelevant and pointless example. 

Userlevel 1

don’t need SONOS S2.

two PORTS one defined to each environment and a couple of audio cables will do the job.

I will not respond further.  There are solutions to playing the old and new systems as a single group.

Userlevel 1

as long as the PORT which by design support audio in and audio out…, you are in business…., and that is the purpose of the PORT to take audio from a source and output it to another device…,the new PORT will support HD so it will work fine…, 

don’t need SONOS S2.

two PORTS one defined to each environment and a couple of audio cables will do the job.

I will not respond further.  There are solutions to playing the old and new systems as a single group.

Uhh, if you have no need for S2, well that's great.  You do know you can keep your systems on S1, right?   No muss, no fuss, and your systems keep working just like they do today.  Looks like your hours of ranting were for naught.

Your opinion.  Thanks for the feedback. 

SONOS said they couldn’t support the Apple Watch either. One person did it for them with the Lyd app. And elegantly.

What is possible is only limited by saying it isn’t possible.

Thanks again for your opinion.

My opinion backed by 25 years as a software engineer.  I stand by it.

Userlevel 1

Congrats…., I have 35 years….,

Well done for proving that legacy and modern devices can operate together on the existing software.  Given that that will be an option for you anyway after May/June, I repeat my assertion that what you have done proves absolutely nothing of value.

Rereading your original post you clearly believe the issue is modern vs legacy speakers.  It isn’t - it’s S1 vs S2, which is not at all the same thing, and is impossible to experiment with at the moment.  You have solved a problem that doesn’t exist.

I rest my case. 

So why should Sonos create a device that you were able to do on your own without a Sonos device?

And how did you conclude that everyone is going to want this magic box the way you do?    Of the customers who have legacy devices (how many is that?), how many would prefer to just upgrade their systems, or have already decided to move on to a different system?    How many of these devices does Sonos need to sell in order to cover the costs of development, testing, manufacturing of these devices?  Do the numbers add up?  Does it makes sense to make a product that has a limited, and ever shrinking, market?

Again, all for a device who’s function you were able to duplicate in 30 minutes with equipment you already had.

Congrats…., I have 35 years….,

Managing is not developing.  Not by a long shot.