Why no levels or numbers on volume?

• 16 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok.  So I love my Sonos equipment.  I have a Playbar, 2 One SLs, a Sub and a Play 5.  I have the Sonos App on my phone and on my mac.  Yet NOWHERE in Sonos do they have a marker or gauge for volume level?  Why is this?  There is only a vague slider.

The importance of having hash marks or even numbers on volume really helps to know where you have preferred volumes in rooms.  Perhaps I like my play 5 generally at level 6, but on more quiet nights I prefer level 2.  Or maybe I like my playbar usually at level 3.  Why is there no marker at all for volume level? 

Even better would be if you could have presets.  You can simply select all rooms to jump to their preset volumes.  These sometimes change when you are playing movies vs music.  Or when you need not upset neighbors.  It would be great to have markers. 

Does this function exist?  It seems so basic.  Even stereos from the 70s had some marker to denote volume that was more recognizable, other than a general slider.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If this is implemented, please, please, please can they go up to 11?

(Many thanks, Spinal Tap!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This would be particularly handy for folks that like to play their Sonos as low-level background sound. Trying to get just one or two up from mute is aggravating.

I’d go so far as to ask for an up/down button pair instead of just the so hard to adjust on small screens slider.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This would be particularly handy for folks that like to play their Sonos as low-level background sound. Trying to get just one or two up from mute is aggravating.

I’d go so far as to ask for an up/down button pair instead of just the so hard to adjust on small screens slider.

Imagine a preset level where you could label it “Background music level” vs “Party level”.  And with numbers it would be easy to adjust quickly on the fly. Rather than the slider guessing game we all do now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Third party apps do show the volume level (which is 0-100), SonoPad, SonoPhone and mine all do it. I am a UI flunky, but displaying the number didn’t even take a line of code for me to do, its a free feature of the slider control.

Sonos must have specifically decided to not display the volume numerically in their apps, for some reason.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Third party apps do show the volume level (which is 0-100), SonoPad, SonoPhone and mine all do it. I am a UI flunky, but displaying the number didn’t even take a line of code for me to do, its a free feature of the slider control.

Sonos must have specifically decided to not display the volume numerically in their apps, for some reason.

Not sure what third party app this is, but can’t seem to find them on my phone/computer.  Would be best if Sonos added it and presets to their controllers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check your phone’s store, search for SonoPad or SonoPhone and you should find one of them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I assume you know the trick where one just taps to the right of the volume slider?

If you slide the volume to zero, then tap to the right of the slider, it will adjust the volume to ‘1’ … tap again and it will be ‘2’ … and so on in increments of 1. (This is true for the iOS controllers, anyway; the macOS controller uses increments of 2.)