Why does the Sonos One not have a TruePlay with the internal speakers or Android Phones?

There's SIX microphones in it. Why can't it just listen like the Roam does?

Seems like it should be a free software update for better sound?

-

I realize there is TruePlay using an iPhone devices only. I use Android.

It’s a major oversight to not provide a fallback onto the internal microphones and/or Also Android devices. It also clearly shows how the company does not care about the customer’s experience in this regard.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Move also does Auto Trueplay.

It’s a major oversight to not provide a fallback onto the internal microphones and/or Also Android devices. It also clearly shows how the company does not care about the customer’s experience in this regard.

Or that when the device was designed, that ability did not exist yet, and to implement it would require substantial changes on the internals of the device. 

Or that when the device was designed, that ability did not exist yet, and to implement it would require substantial changes on the internals of the device. 

It seems the Sonos 1 V2 came out within 6-7 months on the Sonos Move

https://www.automationwake.com/sonos-one-gen-1-vs-gen-2-what-changed/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/18/20871409/sonos-move-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-review-alexa-google-assistant-wifi-price-specs-sound-quality

Great, I hadn’t bothered to check. Do you have associated times when each device was initially designed, hardware costs versus projected sales price, and intended market expectations, too?

I’m certainly not saying it wouldn’t have been nice, if it made sense. But not being part of the process, I do wonder if there might have been a reason unknown to us in the peanut gallery as to why it wasn’t done. If it was simple, and would likely have helped sales at minimal cost, I’d have thought the Product Manager would have forced it to happen. Some things just aren’t as easy as snapping your fingers. 

☝ SNAP SNAP 🎶 Gimme that TruePlay 👂🎼

Press the magic button 🔘

In this case, I think the OP case has merit. I would not say so for the mic equipped 5 unit, where the mic started and ended dead as a dodo, but the case of the mics in the One is different. Perhaps Sonos staff will say something...

In this case, I think the OP case has merit. I would not say so for the mic equipped 5 unit, where the mic started and ended dead as a dodo, but the case of the mics in the One is different. Perhaps Sonos staff will say something...

The feature request has merit, and no one set that it didn’t.  What doesn’t have merit is the assumption that’s it’s oversight, like Sonos never considered auto trueplay in the One, Beam, or Arc.  Highly unlikely.  As well, the assumption that Sonos doesn’t care about the customer experience makes no sense as well.    Sonos has added new features to improve the experience to existing products in the past, multiple times. 

As to why the non-portable speakers don’t have auto trueplay, I can think of a couple reasons why that might be the case.  First, trueplay and autotrueplay are not the same.  If they were the same, then Sonos would have asked customers to tune by placing their phone on top of the speaker instead of waving their phone all over the room.  I suspect that autotrueplay does not result in the same level of tuning as normal trueplay tuning.  

Along the same lines, the Move and Roam were originally designed with autotrueplay in planned and to be used differently than the other speakers. With that in mind, it’s entirely possible that applying autotrueplay to One/Beam/Arc would not have the same positive results as they do on the Move/Roam.  It could actually result in very little positive effect, or even worse than an untuned setup.

But maybe I’m wrong, and Sonos just hasn’t prioritized the development of this for marketing reasons or some other technical reasons.  Regardless, it never hurts to ask, it just doesn’t make sense to assume what you don’t know simply because it fits the narrative you want to believe.

I did not come here to hear your long winded excuses, lol

I came her to get TruePlay 🎶

Your welcome

Translation - I don’t want to hear rationality, I want what I want! <stamps foot>

Notice how when I stamped my foot, the sound was exquisite because of the use of Trueplay

🦶🔊